You are correct they can be registered with the AKC. They aren't necessarily just a small Australian shepherd though, they are a separate breed.

Of course this particular debate has been going on since these other sizes were created. I'm an Australian shepherd purist and think the name Australian shepherd should only be used on the original breed which is diverse enough already.

The toys are definitely not Australian shepherds in any way shape or form. They are their own breed with many different breeds used to create them.
Well, none of them are truly Austrailian shepherds either... The breed actually originated from the Western US and is kin to the Border Collie and other collie breeds... They were originally bred to work with horses and not sheep!

I adore my girl, but I plan on getting smaller dogs if I get any more. I've been planning that for the past twenty years, and somehow keep getting claimed by large dogs who need to be rescued...

I keep promising myself an Italian Greyhound. And I keep breaking my promise. I love Poms - they're mastiffs in a small body, great when they're raised like dogs instead of dolls. But that coat...

I was told that my Aussie is purebred, and she does look like some version of blue merle, but she's about 75 lb - way bigger than I thought a female Aussie could get. But then, somehow I ended up with a 125 lb yellow lab, too.
Both my show bred Aussie females are/were around 70-80 pounds. Generally Australian shepherds don't have a required weight according to the standard, though 45-70 is the recommended range. My show bred is way different than my working bred dog.

I adore my girl, but I plan on getting smaller dogs if I get any more. I've been planning that for the past twenty years, and somehow keep getting claimed by large dogs who need to be rescued...

I keep promising myself an Italian Greyhound. And I keep breaking my promise. I love Poms - they're mastiffs in a small body, great when they're raised like dogs instead of dolls. But that coat...

I was told that my Aussie is purebred, and she does look like some version of blue merle, but she's about 75 lb - way bigger than I thought a female Aussie could get. But then, somehow I ended up with a 125 lb yellow lab, too.
I always wanted a Pom! They are truly a mastiff in a tiny dog body! lol!

I've had two: a blue merle (deceased), and a black tri, still with me. Got them as pups, about 18 months apart. Tex was a totally laid-back dude, sweet as he could be. He had health problems starting at age 7 with seizures, and it just snowballed from there, until I had to put him down last year, at age 11, after pouring as much effort, love, and money as I could, into trying to get him better. (He had a good life, right up until the end.) My vet did say that they - as a breed - can be prone to health problems, but, plenty of folks have them, with no issues ever coming up. I still have Junebug, and at 9, she is still crazy, and, aside from some minor hip issues that resulted from a viral infection (joint supplements keep her going), as healthy as she can be. As noted above, she barks at everything, no matter how far away. She is sweet, too, but having been lulled into a false sense of ease with Tex's laid back nature, I wasn't necessarily prepared for her high-energy self, right at first. I called them "lazy dog and crazy dog". She is as smart as a whip, and absolutely fearless - she is "top dog". I would not hesitate to get another Aussie! - go for it!
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG

I believe that if we get another dog for the homestead it will be a Great Pyrenees. I hear they are the breed of dog most suited for farm life! Our neighbors have one and he is so laid back and so easy going until his animals (chickens) are threatened! For as large as that dog is, he can spring into action at the drop of a hat! :)

I believe that if we get another dog for the homestead it will be a Great Pyrenees. I hear they are the breed of dog most suited for farm life! Our neighbors have one and he is so laid back and so easy going until his animals (chickens) are threatened! For as large as that dog is, he can spring into action at the drop of a hat! :)
They are awesome dogs! Gentle giants, friendly, but will protect their folks, be they 2-legged, 4-legged, or winged! I loved mine, even though they barked at everything, and their coat requires upkeep. They are an excellent farm dog.

Thanks for all the info everyone! All your dogs are beautiful! And @oldhenlikesdogs I thought that was Australian Cattle Dogs and Aussies were a bit softer dogs? At least that's why I didn't go for ACD. I see lots of Aussies doing trick competitions or at least videos, obedience, and service dogs and such?

And Great Pyrenees are awesome. Qe have a Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix and he is the sweetest boy. He has a Lab coat, slightly longer along his back and around neck, so his coat isn't a ton of work. I would definitely say to socialize, socialize, socialize though! We didn't and didn't do obedience classes (though I trained him myself, I know a lot about training and dogs in general) and now has very protective and doesn't like most other dogs. When people come to the house but especially delivery drivers, he's a nightmare and lunges at the big bay window, hair out, scary alarm barking! Scares people to death cause he's 140 pounds and very hard to get out of that state. So we now have delivery people leave it down the driveway or at the mailbox (our driveway is very long). BUT. Now at 6 he is slowing down, having health problems,and I think going deaf so sometimes he doesn't even notice when people pull in anymore. And he's also always been fine once people get inside. He just acts scary. He's a big lover though. I think maybe he has some anxiety and therefore puts on a big front. Idk. But he's fine once people come in. Sometimes he has needed to be leashed or brought to a separate room when he's younger but now he's perfectly fine. But even then, he was only leashed or put away so he wouldn't jump all over you not bc of aggression cause the second people were in, even if you were still in front of the door, he was perfectly fine.

So yeah. Definitely socialize.

We didn't realize how protect the breed was. Just saw a cute puppy on ebay classifieds.

Also probably not the best for suburbs. We have almost 3 acres and are set back in the woods but we still have delivery drivers, people walking by with dogs, my brothers and I's friends, etc.

But he is very very sweet and loving.

And yes definitely ready to spring into action lol

We have chickens and he has always been so protective. Racoons and fox have tried to get in numerous times and he goes balistic. The only thing he missed was hawks and the neighbor's dog. The neighbor's dog didn't do anything thankfully.

But now he is older so sometimes doesn't hear threats. :/

Funny though, we got them when he was 3 but he still took it upon himself to protect them. The cat he likes to torment lol but we had her when we got him and she was also in heat at the time so I think they got off on the wrong foot (paw?) lol she was spayed soon after but she was sooo annoying lol

And he likes to resource guard from her. Not in a mean way, he just runs to his bowl and eats fast or gives her a tiny chase. But they play and chase each other all the time. She torments him too.

He looks like he's sleeping and DOES sleep most of the time but always one eye open so to speak

Thanks for all the info everyone! All your dogs are beautiful! And @oldhenlikesdogs I thought that was Australian Cattle Dogs and Aussies were a bit softer dogs? At least that's why I didn't go for ACD. I see lots of Aussies doing trick competitions or at least videos, obedience, and service dogs and such?

And Great Pyrenees are awesome. Qe have a Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix and he is the sweetest boy. He has a Lab coat, slightly longer along his back and around neck, so his coat isn't a ton of work. I would definitely say to socialize, socialize, socialize though! We didn't and didn't do obedience classes (though I trained him myself, I know a lot about training and dogs in general) and now has very protective and doesn't like most other dogs. When people come to the house but especially delivery drivers, he's a nightmare and lunges at the big bay window, hair out, scary alarm barking! Scares people to death cause he's 140 pounds and very hard to get out of that state. So we now have delivery people leave it down the driveway or at the mailbox (our driveway is very long). BUT. Now at 6 he is slowing down, having health problems,and I think going deaf so sometimes he doesn't even notice when people pull in anymore. And he's also always been fine once people get inside. He just acts scary. He's a big lover though. I think maybe he has some anxiety and therefore puts on a big front. Idk. But he's fine once people come in. Sometimes he has needed to be leashed or brought to a separate room when he's younger but now he's perfectly fine. But even then, he was only leashed or put away so he wouldn't jump all over you not bc of aggression cause the second people were in, even if you were still in front of the door, he was perfectly fine.

So yeah. Definitely socialize.

We didn't realize how protect the breed was. Just saw a cute puppy on ebay classifieds.

Also probably not the best for suburbs. We have almost 3 acres and are set back in the woods but we still have delivery drivers, people walking by with dogs, my brothers and I's friends, etc.

But he is very very sweet and loving.

And yes definitely ready to spring into action lol

We have chickens and he has always been so protective. Racoons and fox have tried to get in numerous times and he goes balistic. The only thing he missed was hawks and the neighbor's dog. The neighbor's dog didn't do anything thankfully.

But now he is older so sometimes doesn't hear threats. :/

Funny though, we got them when he was 3 but he still took it upon himself to protect them. The cat he likes to torment lol but we had her when we got him and she was also in heat at the time so I think they got off on the wrong foot (paw?) lol she was spayed soon after but she was sooo annoying lol

And he likes to resource guard from her. Not in a mean way, he just runs to his bowl and eats fast or gives her a tiny chase. But they play and chase each other all the time. She torments him too.

He looks like he's sleeping and DOES sleep most of the time but always one eye open so to speak
Aussies aren't as pushy as cattle dogs, but they are persistent, and can become dominant to their owners if you don't understand what they are up to. Aussies have a sense of humor, and are sensitive to corrections, but they still will try to get away with stuff. An Aussie also believes everything in the house is theirs, especially the dog stuff.

Mine have also been prone to wanting to fight with other dogs, so being a good leader can help keep that tendency under control. Of course males may be different, I only keep females. If a squabble breaks out here often the one Aussie will try to get in on it. The older one knows better.

Aussies can be Velcro dogs that get jealous of other dogs. I've seen enough Cesar Milans with problem Aussies, and see a lot of complaints about them on Facebook groups. Depending on what you get they can be an easy dream, or a troublemaker. Getting enough exercise will help them behave, as it does for any dog.

Show lines can be calmer, and bigger. Smaller farm lines can be more hyper. I have said over the years that I love Aussies, and I never want another one. I'm pretty sure there's at least one more in my future.

Back
Top Bottom