Aussies aren't as pushy as cattle dogs, but they are persistent, and can become dominant to their owners if you don't understand what they are up to. Aussies have a sense of humor, and are sensitive to corrections, but they still will try to get away with stuff. An Aussie also believes everything in the house is theirs, especially the dog stuff.

Mine have also been prone to wanting to fight with other dogs, so being a good leader can help keep that tendency under control. Of course males may be different, I only keep females. If a squabble breaks out here often the one Aussie will try to get in on it. The older one knows better.

Aussies can be Velcro dogs that get jealous of other dogs. I've seen enough Cesar Milans with problem Aussies, and see a lot of complaints about them on Facebook groups. Depending on what you get they can be an easy dream, or a troublemaker. Getting enough exercise will help them behave, as it does for any dog.

Show lines can be calmer, and bigger. Smaller farm lines can be more hyper. I have said over the years that I love Aussies, and I never want another one. I'm pretty sure there's at least one more in my future.

Thanks for all the info, that makes sense. Do you think some of the problems are from people getting puppy mill/pet store Aussies and/or not knowing how to raise them or give enough exercise? Or just a breed thing? Idk, I'm sure there's plenty of people with problem ones from all breedings but I just feel like a lot or most people on that show aren't exactly dog people. If I got one I do plan on getting show lines because I don't need one any more hyper than a regular Aussie lol and maybe looking for one with calmer, more social, and/or more obedient dogs might help.

I'm still torn between a retriever or herding breed though. Their Goldens were sooo sweet. But I do like a little more drive so idk. If I went herding breed, I'm torn between Aussie or English Shepherd. ES seem to be a little calmer and more chill and more similar to a Golden in terms of the chill until you're ready to go but yet possibly smarter and the herding personality. And possibly less protective. So idk. I do want to at least try an Aussie though and probably better to do it while I'm young but idk.

Thanks for all the info, that makes sense. Do you think some of the problems are from people getting puppy mill/pet store Aussies and/or not knowing how to raise them or give enough exercise? Or just a breed thing? Idk, I'm sure there's plenty of people with problem ones from all breedings but I just feel like a lot or most people on that show aren't exactly dog people. If I got one I do plan on getting show lines because I don't need one any more hyper than a regular Aussie lol and maybe looking for one with calmer, more social, and/or more obedient dogs might help.

I'm still torn between a retriever or herding breed though. Their Goldens were sooo sweet. But I do like a little more drive so idk. If I went herding breed, I'm torn between Aussie or English Shepherd. ES seem to be a little calmer and more chill and more similar to a Golden in terms of the chill until you're ready to go but yet possibly smarter and the herding personality. And possibly less protective. So idk. I do want to at least try an Aussie though and probably better to do it while I'm young but idk.
Definitely don't mean to talk you out of an Aussie, just want you to know what issues you may run into. I'm not familiar with English shepherds. I have not had a golden, but they seem to have the same issues as Aussies in that their type and temperament can vary widely.

Seek out decent parent stock, don't choose the most active pup, don't take the scared bottom dog. Look for one more even keeled. That being said most of my dogs were the only choice or a choice of 2, and not a bad one in the bunch.

I like dogs without tails. That big golden retriever tail can knock a lot of stuff around. Whatever you choose being familiar to what a breed can be like will help in the long run. You always educate yourself, so I'm sure you will eventually make the right choice.

Good things about my Aussies is they are always entertaining me, and talking to me. My first Aussie taught me how much dogs enjoy a good joke. My second taught me how to speak dog, and my last taught me how much they think and feel. Once you see the Aussie smile you will smile too. They are a breed that will remind you they are there, whether following you everywhere, sitting at your feet, or on them, or talking from across the room, you will not forget you have one.

My Aussies have never bothered my chickens, not once. Find a good dog, put the time and work into that dog, especially in the first 2-3 years and you will have a fairly well behaved friend for life.

Definitely don't mean to talk you out of an Aussie, just want you to know what issues you may run into. I'm not familiar with English shepherds. I have not had a golden, but they seem to have the same issues as Aussies in that their type and temperament can vary widely.

Seek out decent parent stock, don't choose the most active pup, don't take the scared bottom dog. Look for one more even keeled. That being said most of my dogs were the only choice or a choice of 2, and not a bad one in the bunch.

I like dogs without tails. That big golden retriever tail can knock a lot of stuff around. Whatever you choose being familiar to what a breed can be like will help in the long run. You always educate yourself, so I'm sure you will eventually make the right choice.

Good things about my Aussies is they are always entertaining me, and talking to me. My first Aussie taught me how much dogs enjoy a good joke. My second taught me how to speak dog, and my last taught me how much they think and feel. Once you see the Aussie smile you will smile too. They are a breed that will remind you they are there, whether following you everywhere, sitting at your feet, or on them, or talking from across the room, you will not forget you have one.

My Aussies have never bothered my chickens, not once. Find a good dog, put the time and work into that dog, especially in the first 2-3 years and you will have a fairly well behaved friend for life.

Thanks again for all the info. Loved what you said about all your different Aussies.

And it wasn't you that talked me out of it, and I'm still not fully talked out of it, I'm just debating whether I want such am active dog or one that HAS to be exercised and do a million activities as opposed to maybe they just enjoy doing it.

I think I would enjoy having an Aussie if I got one but I'm also usually pretty lazy so maybe I do need more a lazy companion dog. Idk. But then I keep going back and forth because I also really do want to try a sport, even if it's only dock diving, and go hiking and stuff and I love trick training or even just obedience so then I'm lack would a Golden or Lab have enough drive and focus? I just don't know lol

And English Shepherds aren't very common so that's probably why but they're more of like an old farm collie type and bred as all around farm dog. They can hunt vermin (and some limes were actually bred as hunting dogs), babysit the kids, herd when needed, etc. I'm in a few Facebook groups for them too.

Here's some info

http://www.englishshepherd.org

http://www.englishshepherd.org/breed-info.html

http://www.englishshepherds.net/breedinfo.html

http://nesr.info/about-english-shepherd-breed.php

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Shepherd

https://www.ukcdogs.com/english-shepherd

They're not really bred for show but have been recognized by UKC for a while so including that but they're still primarily farm/working dogs and a lot don't register with UKC but do with the breed clubs but yeah. Because they're not bred for show, there is still a ton of variation in looks and in their purpose/temperament so gotta look for one that fits your specific needs.

But they do seem like great dogs.

But I've always had retrievers so maybe be hard to switch but I do want to try other breeds. I don't want to only have retrievers lol

But yeah, they do vary a ton I think because they're such popular breeds. All the popular ones get ruined by mills and BYBs who don't care about temperament, looks, or health, and only care about money. Obviously not all small breeders are bad but they often don't know what they're doing. There are some aggression problems in Goldens and Labs now when there never used to be. I think it's because of all the puppy mill and newspaper dogs. Or maybe inbreeding. Idk.

And I prefer tails lol I'm not really a coffee table person anyway and don't have much valuable so I don't mind but also dogs communicate so much with their tail I don't like to deprive them of that. And they can use it as a rudder for swimming or running with sharp turns lol

But yeah, I would definitely put a lot of time and effort into them.

If you aren't normally active you may regret being forced to be active. I always pair my active dogs with other active breed. I just take my pack for a walk and they run and wrestle. I have 40 acres which helps. I find a boxer is a good fit for an Aussie, but any other active breed would work. Lots of breeds to choose from. I find it best to list things that are important to you, than try to find a breed that fits. My main interest is in dogs that play most their lives, and remain active, so my breed choices are for those type of breeds.

If you aren't normally active you may regret being forced to be active. I always pair my active dogs with other active breed. I just take my pack for a walk and they run and wrestle. I have 40 acres which helps. I find a boxer is a good fit for an Aussie, but any other active breed would work. Lots of breeds to choose from. I find it best to list things that are important to you, than try to find a breed that fits. My main interest is in dogs that play most their lives, and remain active, so my breed choices are for those type of breeds.

That's a good point, thanks. Yeah, I can see how having a lot of land would definitely help. I mean, now that I've been walking Libby, Ive been more active and I like it, but yeah I don't want to end up despising the dog or anything. Plus some days I may wanna stay in and I don't think an Aussie would like that. But then again neither would a Golden lol dogs are good that way though, they get you out even when you'd rather be lazy and sleep till noon and/or stay inside all day watching TV lol

And yeah, having a dog remain active into their senior years is definitely appealing and a lot of retrievers aren't like that so idk. Plus the hips and especially how common cancer is in Goldens concerns me.

My problem is what I want is so basic that sooo many breeds could fit it and I also have a hard time narrowing down breeds or figuring out whether I could actually handle one or not.

I have many breeds I want including Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, Australian Shepherd, German Shepherd, English Shepherd (clearly I like shepherds and retrievers lol) and Husky. Those are probably my top choices but also Boston Terrier, French Bulldog (Frenchie), Australian Cattle Dog/Heeler, Border Collie, Leonberger, Newfoundland, some sort of terrier like maybe a Border, Westie, Cairn; Papillion, some sort of spaniel like Cocker or English Springer; labradoodle or goldendoodle, Australian Koolie, Kelpie, Malinois or other Belgian Shepherd variety, etc. See? Many, many breeds lol

All I care about is a dog that wants to be with me and most especially actually cares about me*, is smart enough and biddable enough to want to please and/or be fairly easy to train and actually obeys (sick of stubborn dogs lol), and is active enough to go on long walks or hikes and possibly bike rides and want to play. And on the whole training and active note, could be trained to do tricks or a dog sport, though not necessarily a requirement. Oh and preferably likes other dogs and/or strangers or at the very least is not reactive, aggressive, or anything like that. They don't have to like strangers I guess as long as they're not aggressive (though I might decide to do therapy work with them or get the CGC so hopefully they do), but I would prefer if they liked dogs or at least could learn to like a select few because we have a dog, my brother has a dog, my best friend has two, you get the idea lol

Oh and we have chickens and a cat so they can't want to eat them lol that said, if I have to keep the chickens in the run or the dog inside when they free range, it's not a huge deal. As long as they don't eat the cat because she does have free run of the house.

So as you can see, many breeds fit that description lol which is why it's so hard to narrow down.

*Gator cares but he's usually too lazy to get up and come snuggle/cuddle or sometimes he gives you like one sniff or kiss and then is like yeah you're fine and walks away lol granted I am often overdramatic just to see how he reacts so he probably tunes me out but still. Although one time I had a genuine panic/anxiety attack cause I saw a bee then tripped running from it (in flip flops and on gravel) and came barreling in the house, sobbing, sitting on the stairs, and he cared then lol he came running over, kissed me a ton, tried to get me to play with him or laugh lol so he does care in his own way. But idk. Sometimes when you're crying it's nice to have a dog to snuggle lol not that I cry a lot hah

A few breeds in you list are known to be aggressive and reactive. Don't get a German shepherd for sure. Many terriers are terrors, dogs like frenchies can't go on long walks, especially if it's cold or hot.

Huskies can be destructive and shed a lot, so do any of the shepherds or Belgium shepherds.

Labs and goldens are popular for a reason, both can fit your wish list very nicely.

If you are like me maybe a boxer would be a good match, or even a Doberman. Both are active dogs that are devoted to their owners. Sorry to add some more breeds to your list. :)

I used to want every breed to but have managed to whittle it down to a few that fit my life better.

A few breeds in you list are known to be aggressive and reactive. Don't get a German shepherd for sure. Many terriers are terrors, dogs like frenchies can't go on long walks, especially if it's cold or hot.

Huskies can be destructive and shed a lot, so do any of the shepherds or Belgium shepherds.

Labs and goldens are popular for a reason, both can fit your wish list very nicely.

If you are like me maybe a boxer would be a good match, or even a Doberman. Both are active dogs that are devoted to their owners. Sorry to add some more breeds to your list. :)

I used to want every breed to but have managed to whittle it down to a few that fit my life better.

Are all GSDs aggressive and reactive? Cause I wouldn't think they would use them in police work if they were that unpredictable and dangerous? And I've seen them used in therapy work and stuff. Idk. If I got one, I wouldn't get the poorly bred American ones that are so common and have bad nerves and/or that BYBs breed or mix lines or whatever, I'd make sure I got one from a good breeder and I'm thinking I'm going to get a West German Show Line (WGSL) or possibly WGWL (West German Working Line) or a combination of the two. They seem to be the best fit for me. I've done lots of research into the lines surely if they were that dangerous no one would own them? I mean, people say Rottweilers and Dobermans are aggressive, dangerous, or vicious too. And I admit I'm slightly scared of dobermans lol no issue with rotties or pits or other "dangerous" breeds. That said, I do think a GSD might be a little bit too protective for me atm but I think a lot had to do with the owner, training, and/or breeding.

You're right about terriers and Frenchies though. I don't think they're the right fit but they're adorable.

Huskies I feel like are only destructive if they're bored or not exercised enough just like most other dogs which is why I would exercise it a ton. Thankfully huskies seem to need mostly physical exercise rather than tons of mind games or stimulation (though they do need some of that too) and we have tons of areas I could just let them run for miles. Shedding isn't an issue cause Labs and Goldens and lots of dogs shed like crazy too and my cat sheds ridiculous amounts lol I'll just vaccuum and brush more.

But that said, I think huskies are out for different reasons which are that they're very vocal and they can also be stubborn. I dislike vocal and stubborn dogs lol

You are right about Labs and Goldens being popular for a reason so I'll probably end up with one lol but at the same time, everyone and their grandmother has one and I kind of want something different and unique so idk. Or protective for when I move out.

It's okay adding breeds, I do all the time. Idk about those though but I'll look into it. Another one I do want though that I forgot to add is a White Swiss Shepherd/Berger Blanc Suisse (WSS/BBS) which apparently is an actual breed and different than. white shepherds. Apparently a white GSD, a White Shepherd (recognized by UKC), and a White Swiss Shepherd are all slightly different but similar. I'd be happy with any of them but I do want a real BBS eventually but they're very expensive. Supposed to be more mellow than regular shepherds though

But yeah

I only owned one German shepherd, she was a nice dog but too protective. German shepherds are up there on the list of dogs that bite. Australian shepherds are on it too. They are a higher risk breed. They need a assertive confident owner. They have become less popular lately.

Back
Top Bottom