Australian Spotted Question

Knighstar679

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Seneca Falls, NY
I have one Aussie Duck. I am curious if this is a blue or grey one though. My little Renegade duck is growing up.

9B82839A-473A-4AFD-A93E-11B3F79C9415.jpeg

That’s on gorgeous duckling @Pyxis May know color looks grey blue to me. :idunno

I love these little bantam ducks. They look so cool and the personality of this one is amazing. He is the first duckling I had hatch out of the egg running. It was crazy! I had to pull him out of the incubator really early because he was knocking everyone around really bad while he was running around it. Never heard of anything like it.

So, Australian Spotted ducks are supposed to all be what they call Spot in color, a mallard based pattern that involves one harlequin allele and one light phase allele. I've never bred them, but because of that it wouldn't be possible for them to all breed true and all be Spot. I would wager that nowadays most of them are really just light phase now.

They also have different colors which they call Greenhead, Bluehead, and Silverhead. Greenhead is regular Spot. Bluehead is Blue Splot, aka Spot with the addition of one blue dilution allele. Silverhead is Silver Spot, Spot with two blue dilution alleles.

So the bad news - your duck doesn't appear to be any of these. It looks like it is an extended black color, not a mallard-based color. To me, it looks blue bibbed. Maybe even blue pied. He could possibly be a cross of an Australian Spotted, but no purebred Australian Spotted ducks look like that. Where did the eggs come from?

So, Australian Spotted ducks are supposed to all be what they call Spot in color, a mallard based pattern that involves one harlequin allele and one light phase allele. I've never bred them, but because of that it wouldn't be possible for them to all breed true and all be Spot. I would wager that nowadays most of them are really just light phase now.

They also have different colors which they call Greenhead, Bluehead, and Silverhead. Greenhead is regular Spot. Bluehead is Blue Splot, aka Spot with the addition of one blue dilution allele. Silverhead is Silver Spot, Spot with two blue dilution alleles.

So the bad news - your duck doesn't appear to be any of these. It looks like it is an extended black color, not a mallard-based color. To me, it looks blue bibbed. Maybe even blue pied. He could possibly be a cross of an Australian Spotted, but no purebred Australian Spotted ducks look like that. Where did the eggs come from?
I got them off an eBay seller. They had good ratings too. But she does have Ancona on property as well. It is a small duck not any bigger than my black East Indies. Sad he might not be a purebred but still love this little duck.

I got them off an eBay seller. They had good ratings too. But she does have Ancona on property as well. It is a small duck not any bigger than my black East Indies. Sad he might not be a purebred but still love this little duck.

I'd bet he's a cross with the anconas. The coloring makes perfect sense for that. Purebred or not, he's a very pretty little guy :)

Back
Top Bottom