Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
Quote:
How did you go ?
Hope all went well and you have a big grin for the rest of the month !
I haven't been to Footscay, but I've always asumed it would be a lot bigger than Kynetton, may give it a go in future.

Hi All
smile.png

Just wondering if anyone could give me some contact details for the Kyneton Poultry Club, like a webpage etc.
Considering its my home town, I'd like to get involved and meet like minded chook'aholics like myself
big_smile.png

PS> Hasn't the weather in victoria been oh so lovely - not! I've got 38 chicken eggs in my bator (the bator was delivered and I just couldn't wait till spring, I would have gone crazy with it just sitting there empty) and I'm guessing the hatchlings will be spending their first few weeks in the spare bedroom until i think they can cope in the shed. I'm building a 'super brooder' just for the occasion.

frow.gif

Sorry, scoopy, I can't help with your contact details, but good luck with the eggs! Hatching has got to be great fun. We board our chicks in the spare bedroom too, it's nice being able to check on them when I wake up at night, have a listen to them peeping and see the lights comin' from under that door
tongue.png

Quote:
Hello,
The auction is held at Mollison Str. Poultry pavillion at the show grounds and held 3 times a year (April, July and October) ? they advertise on Back Yard Poultry, I do have contact no's but have to find them first.
Good luck with your hatch, beeing a new bator it's a good idea to test it out before spring anyway, I use reptile tank type enclosure after my first 3 weeks in the spare room, it works really well but broodies do the best job, I set a pekin on 9 eggs this morning,
best wishes

Thanks everyone - and thanks for the link duckyfromoz - will go and check out that website now
big_smile.png

I'm already excited for the agricultural show Kyneton hold every November, I might be torn between watching the horses and the poultry this year! And I'll definitely keep an eye out for the auction in July.
The first 4 I hatched in my home made '30 second to build emergency bator' ended up in a little brooder in our laundry whiteflare and i know what you mean - every time i went to use the washing machine I would get stuck in there for ages just watching them, and I'm so lucky my darling hubby supports me with this, the new bator is in our walk in pantry! He swears he is slowly being taken over by chickens, yet he has named 3 of those that hatched so I know he doesn't mind too much
big_smile.png

This is a good test run madaboutchooks, if I end up with chicks I will be over the moon but it is my first attempt starting from the begining so I'm feeling really unsure about everything, I tell you this forum has been a godsend though, for my hubby at least, i know i would have driven him mad already had i not been able to get on here and ask questions and vent frustrations.

Quote:
I often think that I'm the big kid in our house, it's an obsession, when I meet people that are new at keeping poultry I warn them that they will be hooked.
I suggest you buy yourself a thermometer with a hydrometer ( I think that's what it's called ) for humidity, and check temperature regularly ( I bought a cheap one from ebay, works well ) and follow your incubators instructions as best as you can and keep an eye on the water.
Be careful not to turn your eggs from the centre as this will ruin them, always turn your eggs end over end.
Remember that fertility rate drops in cold and hot weather, so if you don't have a good turn out this may be the cause.

Best wishes.
smile.png

Well...another weekend draws to a close- and I still feel like I didnt get much accomplished. I have however finished rebuilding the road enough up at my block of land to be able to drive all the way down the road- in the gate and be able to pack outside the shed. Its the first time I have been able to do that since the floods back in January. Now I can order the 10 cubic metres of gravel and really get stuck into some hard work up there. I lost about 50 metes of the road and all the gravel from the driveway ( not to mention how much of the gulley eroded as well . ) I plan to use the first 10 cubic metres to finish filling in the road and redo my driveway. Then any left over will go back into the gulley- along with a second 10 cubic meters I plan to get later in the year. I could do it all in a day with a bobcat- but plan to do it all by hand- just as I have done everything else up there. its hard work- but I always come home so happy having dome it all myself.

We took the young gosling up with us for the day... The little buggar talked the whole way!! 2 hours up and two hours back.. I am amazed it can still make a sound at all after that effort!!

Back
Top Bottom