Australians - Where are you all????

Oh Satay...This fellow didnt go anywhere...He is my Double Champ!!! He is one of the two boys I hope will father most of my ducklings that will grow into my show ducks for next year. No way is he going anywhere anytime soon.

It was my goose Max that has left the nest so to speak. Just as sad of course. I hope she is doing Ok.. Poor goose- the weather has turned so cold here...at least by now she may have laid an egg or two in her new home and will have a nice new nest and soon feel at home.

OIC ducky. That will teach me from reading when i am half asleep still.
tongue.png

Quote:
It was a great Auction at Kyneton, lots of variety in breeds and you did really well on that Chinese goose, she was lovely, I met your daughter when I was admiring her, pitty I never met you, maybe next time. Were you at the last auction in March ?

Madaboutchooks I was wondering if you may have been there. So glad you got to see my girl though. I must say it is quieter at home now- but I miss her so much.

I cant remember If I was at the March one- I dont think so ... Last year was the last one I think- but I will be going again in October. We will have to organise to meet up then.

duckyfromoz
I too keep a pair of chinese geese and I sold the pilgrims beside your girl ( because the male was a pain and was becoming obsessed with my chinese female, although he had 3 of his own girls ) and the chinese male was going mad and the calls were driving me bonkers, now it's way more peaceful except for the guinea fowl ofcourse !!!
I will try to meet up with you next time hopefully, I didn't think to contact you earlier to arrange to meet up, but I've had a lot going on and it sounds as if you've been busy too.
Question about your goose did you incubate or did she hatch naturally ? If you incubated the eggs do you have any tips for me as I only hatched 1 in the bator last time ( could of been a fertility issue ) any advice you have would be much appriciated.

I must have seen you coming in... I remeber seeing the geese go in the pen - But wouldnt remember your face now there was such a crowd. I did think of it leading up to the day - and started going back through the posts on here to remind myself of who it was that mentioned the auction but gave up after a few pages.... I did meet a member from another forum there on Sunday though...interesting to put a face to that name. It can be very funny to meet someone after reading so many posts on a forum and building up a picture of someone in your mind. there was a sign in board - and I saw the member name.... it had me searching the crowd for a face- and I even did ask one lady if she was " *%$@# " It was more like I had pictured her.

I actually bought Max when she was just 2 or 3 days old - from an Auction run by Footscray Poultry club at Bacchus Marsh- now thats an Auction!! I have always done very well there. Sadly there was an accident that morning and buying the baby was just what I needed to raise my spirits. i have always let my geese incubate their own eggs in the past - but I havent had any breeding here where I live right now- its been quite a few years - but I still remember seeing the cute little faces at the back door wanting to come inside rather than outside on the grass where they belonged. I really cant keep geese here permanently but I am thinking of incubating some goose eggs this spring. Gosling are the cutest babies- I love my ducks- but goslings are even cuter. I have read people saying you need to cool the eggs daily- and mist them daily... I am planning on trying two maybe three lots- and seeing what may work best. A lady I know had some chinese but no incubator- so I thought we could go halves in the babies if she provides the eggs and i have the incubator.

Quote:
I had an early night last night-thank goodness- so missed your post,Ducky,sorry! The chooks were all washed and ready to go, but I made a major mistake with the silkie this morning and sprayed him with too much olive oil to shine him up, he ended up looking as if he had just got out of the shower. It was too late to do anything about it so just took him anyway! He was nicely olive oiled all over,bet he thought that he was headed for the oven! What a crowd we had, every pen full and some even borrowed from another club. There was a huge turnout of ducks too,some lovely coloured runners,but show champion went to a Pekin Duck. Honestly he stood in that Champion pen and looked SMUG!It was so funny! I was a bit miffed because my Aussie Game Rooster was put into a cage that was too small for him,and his head wasn't visible when he stood straight,but that's the luck of the draw,and although I got 3 firsts,there were no sashes for this chook! I did win the raffle,and it was a great prize,an assorted set of chicken utensils,mugs,placemats,dishcloths etc. Show didn't end until 6.00 p.m. whew! We'll need more judges next time methinks!
Have made a huge decision tonight. I am totally besotted by game birds,Aussie Game and Malays in particular, so have decided to sell any and everything else and stick to only the game birds - ducks excepted!(BTW that guy let me down with the Runner so poor old Harry is still alone). I haven't told hubby yet aboaut my decision, he'll either be very surprised,or not surprised at all.
Hope you're all having a good weekend,and that all you feathered(and furry) friends are well!

gig.gif
ep.gif
sad.png
thumbsup.gif
and
he.gif

gig.gif
For the ready for roasting Silkie.. I have seen one very blue once entered by a junior using too much bluo...

ep.gif
For the umber of birds..

sad.png
For the bird put in the wrong size pen...

thumbsup.gif
on your wins

he.gif
For harry not getting a wife.

I will do only one more show this year.. I have to start spending more time up at the block- each time I go up lately there just seems more and more to be done. Its been so long since I was able to stay up there- I can get so much more done if I can do that. I have nearly finished rebuilding the road- it has taken 6 months so far to get it to a point I can drive in the gate...but I still have a lot more to go to restore it to where it was before the floods. I still havent replaced the carpet either... I just didnt get time today. I did finally fix the fence...but found a small section down. The wooden post has rotted- so I will have to go buy a new post and dig a huge hole for it. I have lost my good pliers- and so bought a cheap pair from Bunnings...what a waste of money. The jaws were not sharpened- and the handles actually bent rather than the wore being cut.. I should have known better...

Oof, I'm so sorry I haven't been on BYC in such a long time!!
hide.gif

Congrats to everyone who's won shows/prizes
big_smile.png

How are things going down there?

Back
Top Bottom