Australians - Where are you all????

Quote:
Ahhhhh how funny is that, i caked myself....
lau.gif

There are so many times when I've thought someone was talking to me and they weren't. It's a complete embarassment when you figure out, isn't it?
tongue.png

The guy with his desk opposite mine at work talks aloud all the time...I never know if its to himself...or to me!!! It funny at times to hear him - but I feel like I have to look up at him every time just in case he is talking to me.

I only talk to myself when I'm doing chickeny stuff.
lol.png
Its like I'm explaining myself to the chickens and myself at the same time.
Me,"I'll just change your water now. I'm just gonna reach in here and grab your feeder to fill up"
roll.png

My self-talk usually consists of,
"And if x goes there, we'll have to divide that by two, which will give us... ah!" etc. etc.
roll.png

hello to evryone out there i have 6 lovely hens that have layed thru winter for 2 yrs and i was wondering when they would go broody i have 1 giant australorp she is beautiful and healthy but not currentyl laying and a light/speckled sussex and both have no interes tin eggs, the funny thing is my other hens are production breeds like isa brown red sexlink and a mystery hen. the isa has started showing signs or broodiness like sittin on the nest for a very very very very long period of time and while she is on the nest she tunrs that eggs and acts broody and stares in to no where i tap her beak and no reaction at all she sits ther spread over the eggs so does anyone noe wat she is doin and how to get my australorp to broody btw my australorp has brooded b4 but the previous owners made her get up and the white sussex is only 1 year old so they are my only hope and how to kjeep the isa brown don on the nest because hse gets up in the middle of the day and forgets the eggs exist lol sorry for the long explaination

welcome-byc.gif
chookhead!
I'm sorry, I've never had a broody before so I can't give you advice there, but I do know my hens sit on the nest and roll the eggs around too, and they have not gone broody
smile.png

Quote:
Ok I'll do my best to answer. I have never had an isa brown go broody and I have had them for years. There really is no way to make any particular breed go broody. Some are extreemly broody and some not. My bantams are so broody it's not funny. Even broody hens will get up from the nest every now and then to stretch their legs and to eat and drink. I find mine will not stay put 24/7 until about a day or so before they are due to hatch. My hens will try to peck you if you try to take eggs when they are broody. Some, even the little banties can be down right scarey lol. If you want to see if you Isa brown really is broody mark a few eggs with a pen (if you have a rooster) other wise get some fertile eggs from some where and leave them in a box for her, just take away and fresh eggs that are laid each day.

So, Avian Paramyxovirus in Australia now... What do we think of that?!

I'm building a bigger covered run for my normally free-ranged hens until the vaccine is shipped here because the affected dead birds are only 1/2hr away from my house!

Back
Top Bottom