Australians - Where are you all????

So what will you do? I will face the same problem. Is it regulations stopping u keeping or fighting etc?

So Christie are you on a rural property as you have roosters/cockerel. My adopted Polish - Black Betty runs the show and has a tendency to crow when the pigeons invade the run! The previous owner never told me that! I was horrified and thought she had fobbed me off with a boy,it was only that she laid such gorgeous long oval eggs I knew she actually was a gal!! She seems to be worse in Summer, when the days are longer.

Well then, 1 or 2 what would it matter? I lock mine in snake proof box at night so pretty sound proof & only let out at about 8.30am so no one objects.

So Christie are you on a rural property as you have roosters/cockerel. My adopted Polish - Black Betty runs the show and has a tendency to crow when the pigeons invade the run! The previous owner never told me that! I was horrified and thought she had fobbed me off with a boy,it was only that she laid such gorgeous long oval eggs I knew she actually was a gal!! She seems to be worse in Summer, when the days are longer.
My girls are sooo loud, my rooster starts the crowing show at 3:30AM LOL
Their is over 30 houses around my house so not really allowed to have them but I do anyways.

Well then, 1 or 2 what would it matter? I lock mine in snake proof box at night so pretty sound proof & only let out at about 8.30am so no one objects.
I normally let my birds out around 9:30 AM they started to lay out in the yard and not in their coop so I let them out later.
I have only ever lost one of my birds to a predator , the girl I lost was the first ever chick that hatched from my own eggs, lived through -3 weather, I raised her myself as outside wasn't safe for her. Man I miss her, ( shes in my Avatar

What did you lose her to? Re Black Betty (dirtgirl)- so youve got the best of both worlds, a dominant protector hen! I had one of them when I had no rooster and she was excellent. I do not know how to reply to you both in one answer, am I doing the right thing?

What did you lose her to? Re Black Betty (dirtgirl)- so youve got the best of both worlds, a dominant protector hen! I had one of them when I had no rooster and she was excellent. I do not know how to reply to you both in one answer, am I doing the right thing?
I have no idea what I lost her too...
She was broody out in the garden Mum thought I had moved her, I went outside to try and find her... her eggs were gone all that was left was her feathers :(
She would be turning 1 year old on Monday :(

Oh and to reply toi both of us at once, you see the second button near the thumbs up?
If you click on that and then the other post with "Quote" both of them will come up in the same reply box

Last edited:
thats awful, sorry. About 3 months ago when I was trying to (urgently) get a bantam for my rooster as his last small hen had died, I was offered a silkie or an aracauna(sp?) sight unseen, no idea why I went for the A as she is a really wierd looking bantam, looks like a cobra & is very bad tempered to the other hens. But..I'm used to her now, makes me laugh, I call her Alice but everyone refers to her as "cobra hen". I could have had a cute little Silkie instead!

Hi, I'm new to this site. I am from Melbourne and I don't have chickens. Yet. Any breed suggestions?
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom