Australorp Chick not growing like sister

Spin

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2016
Coastal Georgia
I have 2 Australorp chicks, 2 weeks old. One is twice the size and a lot more active. The other seems not to be growing as well and is very timid.
Any ideas as to why?

Attachments

• 20230324_102025.jpg
    20230324_102025.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230324_102044.jpg
    20230324_102044.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230324_102012.jpg
    20230324_102012.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 7
I agree, try to give it extra vitamins, but definitely keep an eye on the stool. If you aren't sure what to look for don't hesitate to post a photo here. Coccidiosis is what came to my mind as well, but I'm not always confident with diagnosing birds. If in your case the chick is healthy otherwise then we'd be looking more into things like making sure the chick can keep up and be well fed. As the experts have suggested, egg is great to give in these situations

I would try to give the chick a boost with a couple of drops daily of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench along with teaching it where food and water are again, encouraging it to eat a little eggy mix of wet feed. Keep watching the poops later in case of coccidiosis. Corid in the water is the treatment.
Eggcellent suggestion. Thx!

I agree, try to give it extra vitamins, but definitely keep an eye on the stool. If you aren't sure what to look for don't hesitate to post a photo here. Coccidiosis is what came to my mind as well, but I'm not always confident with diagnosing birds. If in your case the chick is healthy otherwise then we'd be looking more into things like making sure the chick can keep up and be well fed. As the experts have suggested, egg is great to give in these situations
Thank you. I'm assuming a little raw egg, not cooked. Correct?

Photos of poop?
What's behavior like?

If eating/drinking/pooping/active, then probably a runty chick. Give her time to catch up. You can offer poultry vitamins a couple of times a week to give a boost.

If lethargic and not eating well, then could be failure to thrive.
Thank you. She does eat and drink but not near as active as her sibling.
I will try mixing raw egg with a little feed and vitamins.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom