Australorp Gender help!

See how the second chick has a bigger comb and first has a smaller one? That‘s the difference :)

Adding to the size, it also has a pink/reddish tint and it’s awfully early for that.

And the second chick has big wattles. :D
Yep, what they said. The first chick has a very small, pale comb and no visible wattles. The second chick has a bigger comb, he has wattles, and he's starting to get red.

G'day mates.

I've read all the replies and it's all very sound theory.

What makes me wonder if it's correct though, is that the poster doesn't know how old they are ("three to four weeks" ) so probably not if they're related or the same age as each other. Both chicks have wattles. Both chicks have combs. Seeing as there's no side by side comparison they could be different sizes and ages. Even if they are from the same clutch they could be a day or two apart and at the speed they grow at this age these characteristics could be slightly different.

As for colour of wattles, their head colours are mottled so wattles and combs would be too.

I'm a firm believer of not counting your chickens before they hatch and also not sexing them until they're old enough to do so accurately. What difference does it make right now anyway? If one is a rooster he's too young to mate and too small to eat.

You guys are probably right about what they are but I would wait a bit longer before saying for sure. We've all been wrong before while sexing young chicks. For now, they're scraggly looking teenager chooks stuck between being a cute chookling and a fully grown specimen. Seeing as the poster isn't a commercial operation, just enjoy them for what they are until they show their true colours.

I'm stating this as my opinion and not as fact so keep this in mind before freaking out in the comments section.

Have a wonderful day all,
Ons3Saam

Back
Top Bottom