Australorp Hen has Head pecked open - now what?

Rancho Libertad

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Acton, California
sad.png
2 weeks ago my Australorp Hen - Barbie, had her head split open by my Rooster. I cleaned and administered Blue Kote and put her in a pen by herself - she finally is healing. I have tried re-introducing her back into my flock, but her head is instantly pecked by all. At this point, I do not think her head feathers will every grow back because of the amount of damage. So... I guess I must keep her separated from the rest forever. Keeping in mind she is a pet, does anyone have any ideas of how to get her back into the flock? I searched on the web for a chicken hat, but could not find one for hens.
Thanks much!

i don't know what to tell you. i had the same thing happen and i ate the rooster. that took care of my problem; the other hens didn't bother the wound. You may try bandaging it some how. But i would put her back until it was completely (as much as it is going to) healed.

The boys don't just to it to the hens, I have a young BLRW cockerel I had to put in a cage to let him start healing, if that is possible. There is one cockerel in the pen he was in that is getting just too aggressive with the others. I need to take him out. He tore off about a half dollar size of feathers/skin/everything down to tendons on my BLRW. I sprayed the heck out of it with BluKote and he is acting fine, but the poor thing will spend a long time healing. With this heat now I have to watch him for insects getting to it. Wouldn't you know, he was the only cockerel BLRW I hatched this spring.

Good luck with your girl. It may take a while before you can put her back, then I would suggest either setting things up where she has a separate pen with wire between her an the others for a while so she is with them but protected from them. Then after a week or so, start putting her in a little at a time with supervision until you can be comfortable that things are going to be okay.

I am getting rid of that nasty boy I have and I don't put up with that kind of abuse from my boys. There are too many good ones to put up with that crap. That meant getting rid of the only Blue Ameraucana roo I had this spring, but I would rather protect my flock from bullies than having a breeder, especially one who will likely pass the nasty gene on to the offspring.

Yeah, I thought as much. A bandage is a good idea, and I can't imagine why I did not think of that
roll.png
Thanks!

PS. I am totally amazed at this forum. I belong to one for my breed of dogs, and it is no where as good as you guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom