Australorp, Isa Brown and Silkies - boys or girls?

jonaeselaye

Songster
Nov 3, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Good morning everyone!

My boyfriend and I are new to backyard chicken care, we got three silkies from a farmer 3 months ago and have been obsessed with them ever since.

Last weekend we also got an Isa brown, Honey, and an Australorp, Maya, from a colleague's friend (in hindsight, we realise was not ideal). We were only after an Isa brown but he convinced us to also take one of his Australorps because he said that he was certain all his Australorps were female and that Australorps were friendlier than Isa Browns. We picked a black Australorp that was super friendly to humans and we bonded with her (?) straight away. During the week we had no issues but we started to notice her pecking at one of the silkies and she started sleeping on top of the one of the henhouses. Then today at around 6am she started making sounds. It wasn't exactly a crow, the sounds were a gentle "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" but now I'm concerned that our Maya is a cockerel learning to crow. She has done it around 5-6 times so far and it sounds like a young animal or child calling for help (which is what we thought it was at first).

I would appreciate some help determining if she is a male please. And also our other chickens as I am now a bit worried that more of them will start showing signs of being male. My boyfriend's uncle has farm that they may be able to go to if they are male, we will just be sad to say goodbye.

We were told that Maya and Honey are around 7 months old and the silkies are sound the same age.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Maya.jpg maya 2.jpg maya 3.jpg
honey 2.jpg honey.jpg
silkies.jpg silkies 2.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply everyone.

We also had a few doubts about their ages and Maya's breed after we saw the brownish feathers. Lesson learnt about buying from a colleague's friend instead of the a proper farmer or breeder :( They are the same height, the isa is a bit rounder.
I'll check Maya for spurs now.

For now here a few better photos of the Silkies
Veronica
veronica.jpg

veronica 2.jpg

veronica 3.jpg

Vanessa (black) and Violet
violet and vanessa.jpg
violet and vanessa 2.jpg

violet.jpg

Attachments

• veronica 2.jpg
    veronica 2.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 49
  • violet.jpg
    violet.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 50
I agree the black one is a cockerel and the rest are hens. I don't believe he is 7 months though, probably around 3-4 months and a mixed breed. He looks like a black copper maran x black australorp cross. He is a handsome cockerel too and your lucky you got him! :love

Back
Top Bottom