Australorp/Jersy Giant.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yardraven, Feb 23, 2014.

1. yardraven

yardraven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Isle of Wight UK
    Hey.
    I have acquired a big dark green cockerel. Googled Australorp & Jersey Giant, they look the same. Big, dark green, dopey, large coarse cone.[​IMG] Can anyone tell me what breed this is.
    Cheers
    yardraven.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

Yes, that looks like a Jersey Giant. Do the feathers have a greenish gloss to them? I think I can see the green glow on feathers in your pic. The way to tell the difference between a Jersey Giant and a Black Australorp is the bottoms of the feet. The JG will have yellow pads and feet and the Australorp will have white pads and feet. He is a beauty!! [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He sure looks like a big guy

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you don't mind me asking, do you call yourself "yardraven" because there are ravens in your yard?? I feed the ravens around here and there are LOTS of "yard ravens" around here. As a matter of fact, they are out there right now calling for food!! [​IMG]

5. yardraven

Feb 23, 2014
    Isle of Wight UK

TWO CROWS--I have always thought all the crow family have an air of mystery about them, almost human like. I also like Led Zeppelin /The Yardravens. The other reason is a long storey, going bk to when I was in the Merchant Navy, and a bit wrecked.
    [​IMG]
    DUMSTRUCK DIVA--Yeah he's a big dopey lump. I found him by accident looking for a Light Sussex rooster, having lost mine to a fox. Called in on a farm shop and there he was , in a barn with thick straw bedding surrounded by 50 Road Island Red hens. He makes my L S look like Quail.[​IMG]

TWO CROWS--Ha ha . How does one go about looking at the underside of feathered a elephant's foot lol. From the top his feet look white .Yeah he has multiple shade of dark green. I got him today. At the moment he's just lumbering around the garden suffering form harem loss. He only has 12 now, since the fox wiped out 9 of my hens.[​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. yardraven

Feb 23, 2014
    Isle of Wight UK
    The mental age lol. I take it yr a fan of both chickens and Zeppelin lol[​IMG]

9. yardraven

Feb 23, 2014
    Isle of Wight UK
    Hey ,thank u[​IMG]
    Just been to lock them all up for the night. He's passed out, asleep on the floor under the perches. I thought he'd died. I shook him and he didn't move, so I lifted up his head and he stood up. If I was a intruder and he stood up in front of me in the dark, I'd still be running now [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by