Australorp or Jersey Giant?

Quote:
But like I said, they have some yellow, but not as much as in the pictures that were posted here.

Quote:
So that is why I am saying that my chickens might be jersey giants. Like I said earlier, they had more yellow on their feet when they were younger than they do now.

I kind of think they are australorps lol. I will try to find some pictures from when they were little to post.

They are hard to tell apart sometimes. For a long time I thought my Australorp could have been a Jersey giant. I finally caught her and had a good look at the bottoms. They were a washed out pink that leaned towards a yellowish hue, but they were still pink, I saw no true yellow.

I read in another thread that australorps have matte black feathers and that the jerseys have shiny feathers. Mine have shiny feathers that kind of shine green in the sun.

Quoting from a website describing Australorps...
"— All about the Black Australorp Chicken —
One of the best egg laying chickens is the black Australorp developed in Australia. Here keepers required a breed with the ability to lay consistently regardless of season or weather pattern. It is considered a large breed chicken with hens that weigh an average of 7 pounds and roosters weigh about 8 to 9 pounds.
They have black pretty feathers that sometimes take a green shimmer when there is sunlight. Although smaller in size, they gave the ability to produce over two hundred and fifty brown eggs per hen each year. They have a white pinkish skin.
They have their origin from Australia where they were bred from black orpingtons from England hence the name Austal for Austarlai and Orp for Orpington. It was bred as a dual purpose or utility purpose bird to provide both meat and eggs."

Sounds like Australorp color is identical to the Jersey Giant breed: black with a shiny iridescent green sheen in the sunlight.

I have Jersey Giants there eyes are brown

My wife has brown eyes and she's not a Jersey Giant.
She's a small brown-eyed
1f469-1f3fd.png
Filipina...
1f601.png

I sent pictures of the chickens to the hatchery a while ago and they told me today that they were australorps and they have me a $12 credit, so they are australorps. I still like them even though they are australorps. I ordered two Olive Eggers from the hatchery with the $12 credit.

I sent pictures of the chickens to the hatchery a while ago and they told me today that they were australorps and they have me a $12 credit, so they are australorps. I still like them even though they are australorps. I ordered two Olive Eggers from the hatchery with the $12 credit.

Between the two breeds (Australorp and Jersey Giant) it can be very difficult to virtually impossible to discern the difference between the two. Even experts in the two breeds (folks who specialize in breeding ONLY those particular breeds) can have a very difficult time telling the difference by looking at a couple of photos.

Back
Top Bottom