Australorp or Jersey Giant?

lishah2000

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
He was supposed to be a barred rock hen. He is from a hatchery, but I don't know which. He is pretty big and heavy. Bottoms of the feet are somewhat white, not pink or yellow.

He is missing the back part of his comb due to an injury, but it came back another inch or so and down to the back of his head.

He is a good boy and I want to put some hens with him, but don't know which breed.

batman.jpg

I believe it's a jersey giant. they have the white feet on the bottom. If i remember correctly
smack.gif

LOL, ok i am backwards today..................hahaha

Last edited:
I have both Australorps and Jersey Giants. Australorps have pink/white on the bottom of their feet, and Jersey Giants have yellow. Jersey Giants also have a more obvious brown around their pupils. Australorps have more of a dark, almost black, brown.

Hope this helps!

P.s: it was very hard for me to tell when they were chicks because they looked identical. I didn't know how to tell them apart back then, so I had to wait until they grew up.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Sounds like he is Australorp. He has white toe nails and his eyes are all black, very dark.

He is about 8 months old now and a very good boy. I think his comb injury was from a hawk. Even though the free-range hens stay with the other rooster, he is still on the look out and runs off perceived threats. He also watches over the baby run.

I almost gave him away with the other extra boys, but at the last minute decided to keep him. So glad I did.

Black Australorp, BJG should be some what taller, bigger. Yes I agree with the eyes, very dark. To me it gives them an extra allert look to them. Very beautiful male looks to be a good breeder. I just love the red on shinny black. Look like a fine paint job on a fine ride. It just pops.

Back
Top Bottom