Australorp rooster Barred Rock Hen cross

MikeAitch

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2019
I crossed my Australorp rooser "shaft" what am I Barred Rock hens became Broody so I let her sit on for eggs and I ended up a hatching five chicks out of those four eggs all them survived and there about 9 weeks old today but I was curious as if they should be sex linked because I do have one cockroach and it is the same barred coloration as the hens because I also had a purebred Barred Rock rooster in the pen with thumb as well

There younger hens I have a Australorp hen as well she's probably 10 months olds and the first 3 months of laying i was getting double yokers

Since you aren't positive on the father, then no... not sex linked.

If you could isolate your austrolorp and breed him to your barred rock hen, then yes, the chicks would be sex linked. All males would be barred and all females would be black. But this only works with the Austrolorp father and barred rock hens. Going the other way, putting your barred rock rooster over any solid hens will not yield sex link chicks.

Post a pic of the chicks and we can sex them for you.

The Offspring or more of a darker black then the original Barred Rock and the Cockroach that I have also has black on its feet

If you could isolate your austrolorp and breed him to your barred rock hen, then yes, the chicks would be sex linked. All males would be barred and all females would be black. But this only works with the Austrolorp father and barred rock hens. Going the other way, putting your barred rock rooster over any solid hens will not yield sex link chicks.

We have 4 chicks from a Australorp rooster and Barred rock hen. All are solid black so we thought they were pullets. Now 3 of them are acting/looking like roosters. Anyone else had this happen?

We have 4 chicks from a Australorp rooster and Barred rock hen. All are solid black so we thought they were pullets. Now 3 of them are acting/looking like roosters. Anyone else had this happen?

With that specific mix, your chicks are sex linked. A barred hen can ONLY give her barring gene to her sons. The cockerels should have hatched out black with a white spot on the back of the head. How old are your chicks? are they feathered?

We crossed our Australorp rooster with a broody Barred Rock hen and she hatched 4 black chicks with NO white on their heads. So we thought we had 4 pullets. NOPE. They are just over 4 months old and THREE out of the 4 are roosters!! Yes, we're sure. They are crowing and trying to mate the females! So, how often does this happen where the babies that are supposed to be "sex-links", aren't?

Back
Top Bottom