1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp vs. Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by schmije, Mar 1, 2010.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Is there a reliable way to tell australorps and barred rocks apart as very small chicks? I have some 1 week old chicks, and I'm not sure which are which, because they both have some white in the feathers that are coming in on their wings. One of the breeds is feathering out and growing much faster than the other. I don't have a picture on hand right now, but I can try to get one if that might help. Thanks.

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    mmmm...it's been forever since I've had a Black Australorp peep, but they don't have a white spot on the tops of their heads, do they?

How about the legs/feet? Yellow for Barred Rock, Black for Australorp?

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Agreed, check the leg color, also aussies will have more white on their faces.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks always have a spot on top of the head, Aussies do not. You can't tell leg color much when they are very tiny-they seem to have pinky-baby legs.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I know Barred Rocks have a spot on top of their head.
    Im thinking Australorps have more white on them, I think their topsides are black and underneat is most white.
    barred rocks tend to be more black

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yep...your barred rock will have a whitish spot on top of her/his head. Your BA will have quite a bit of whitish on the belly, chest, and even around the cheek area...but the top of the head will be black.

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks guys! You confirmed what I THOUGHT I had, but I wanted to be sure. Some of them seem to be much more solid black on the back and white on the bottom, so those must be the australorps. The others have a white dot on their heads, and their color is more black with some white mixed in, so those must be the barred rocks. As for the leg color, they all seem about the same right now. I feel like I can sort them out now. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by