Australorp?

joymac

Songster
12 Years
Sep 17, 2011
Southeastern NC

My DH brought me this hen last night, a friend of his had quit keeping his chickens but this hen had escaped. She had been living in the woods for two months and coming to the nest box to lay. He caught her and now we have six hens. Is she an Australorp? The man said she lays brown eggs. Her legs are dark and have a smidgen of feathers on them.

Joy

She doesn't look like one. I'm not sure what she is
hmm.png

It's not an Australorp. With those lighter colored feathers in the neck and those feathered legs, it's either a Black Copper Marans hen or a Black Copper Marans mixed hen.

It's not an Australorp. With those lighter colored feathers in the neck and those feathered legs, it's either a Black Copper Marans hen or a Black Copper Marans mixed hen.

She doesn't look like one. I'm not sure what she is
hmm.png

I agree. With what you describe, she could possibly be a BCM X Australorp. is that white she has on her neck, or are those feathers just wet/dirty?

I wondered about her age too but I don't have enough experience to even guess the age of a bird! I am just amazed that a coyote or a raccoon hadn't found her while she was in the woods!

She's a mixed breed. Could have some birchen Marans back a bit in the gene pool, but crossing a black bird with pretty much anything but dominant white or buff will give you mostly black birds, so it's hard to tell what else could be in the ancestry.

She's a mixed breed. Could have some birchen Marans back a bit in the gene pool, but crossing a black bird with pretty much anything but dominant white or buff will give you mostly black birds, so it's hard to tell what else could be in the ancestry.
I agree.

Agreed.

She's a pretty hen!

Back
Top Bottom