Australorps and Amber links- gender?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
I have two of each! Approximately 5 weeks old. Thinking both australorps are pullets, and the amberlinks are cockerels, mayyyybe one of each, but those combs sure do seem nice and pink to me.

Australorp #1:
8DA4C8F3-7A0A-413C-A75E-4A6E90E28215.jpeg

Australorp #2:
F64A9210-BD6B-45CC-B197-938E792C54B5.jpeg

Amberlink #1:
876BB84C-593D-4C72-95A6-67153DB5C019.jpeg

Amberlink #2:
EA4589BF-4EEC-42EA-ACBD-7A2F84CA99C0.jpeg

Here’s a shot of both ‘links together, for comparison. 1 on the right, 2 on the left.
2B785A33-59D7-4E56-9E49-A570A98A37AB.jpeg

If it helps, I did look at their wing feathers when I first got them, and there *seemed* to only be the one row/length of feathers on the amberlinks, however I’m not sure how many days old they were at that point, so that may or may not be useful information lol

If it helps, I did look at their wing feathers when I first got them, and there *seemed* to only be the one row/length of feathers on the amberlinks, however I’m not sure how many days old they were at that point, so that may or may not be useful information lol
Feather sexing has to be bred for, it doesn't work on every bird.

Feather sexing has to be bred for, it doesn't work on every bird.
Yes, but from what I understand, the amberlinks are one of those breeds. But I believe it’s only accurate in the first day or two, and I’m not sure how old they were when I brought them home. Old enough to be eating and drinking in the TSC brooder bin, so I’m guessing it was too late by then.

Yes, but from what I understand, the amberlinks are one of those breeds. But I believe it’s only accurate in the first day or two, and I’m not sure how old they were when I brought them home. Old enough to be eating and drinking in the TSC brooder bin, so I’m guessing it was too late by then.
They could have been, Yes. But feather sexing is a trait beyond breed, it takes more time to check the parents for traits to breed slow or fast feathering chicks and since time is money and these are mass produced, hatchery quailty, high production birds. It's not worth it. Could be though.

They could have been, Yes. But feather sexing is a trait beyond breed, it takes more time to check the parents for traits to breed slow or fast feathering chicks and since time is money and these are mass produced, hatchery quailty, high production birds. It's not worth it. Could be though.
Ah, I see. So even as a “sex-linked” breed, it still depends on how they were bred. I don’t know much about how the genetics work. I know some sex-linked traits don’t continue down through the generations, so would that be the case with these guys? Like I can’t think of the specifics of what I’m talking about, but I think I remember that if you were to breed a certain color roo with a certain color female, all their boys will be the color of the hen and the girls will be the color of the roo. But then if you bred the offspring, which are now the opposite colors, none of their babies would be sex-linked. Or something like that?? Lol I did NOT do well in biology 🤣

Anyway, is it something along those lines, where the first gen of amberlinks is sex-linked, but future generations are not? Does that work the same way with the ISA browns also? If you bred 2 ISA’s, their offspring would not be able to be autosexed by color, correct?

Back
Top Bottom