Australorps breed Thread

Hi BYC folks,
Haven't posted in a long while, but I have to give a shout out to my oldest Australop, Teriyaki. She is the HERO of my flock. More than once she has been the one to alert us that the flock is in danger. A couple of days ago she saved two of my hens from a fox. She came up on the stairs to our kitchen door and started screaming. Normally she is pretty quiet, so when I saw it was her I knew there was something wrong, so I ran out to check and a fox had my Orpington. As I was running down I started shouting, screaming, he dropped her but then grabbed my Barred Rock, but I kept screaming and he dropped her and fled, terrified. After about a half hour, all were accounted for and in good health. Big Bird, the Orpington had lost a lot of feathers, but she has lots to spare. View attachment 2313039
So glad it all worked out for you! Those foxes are fast! Hurray for Teriyaki!

I have five Australorpes, bought as chicks. They are 20 weeks old now. One of them is tiny, short little legs, not even half the size of her chickmates. Do you think she is a bantam cross or is there something genetically wrong with her?

She is a little butterball, short and very round. No comb like the rest of them, and sort of different around her face. No one seems to pick on her.

BG3.jpg
BG5.jpg
BG4.jpg
BG2.jpg
BG1.jpg

I have five Australorpes, bought as chicks. They are 20 weeks old now. One of them is tiny, short little legs, not even half the size of her chickmates. Do you think she is a bantam cross or is there something genetically wrong with her?

She is a little butterball, short and very round. No comb like the rest of them, and sort of different around her face. No one seems to pick on her.

Dwarf Cuckoo Marans Pullet

I remember this bird being sold on Eggbid.com a hundred years ago. I don't have any other information on her, other than remembering that this was when Marans were new and very popular so of course she sold for quite a bit and that her photo is on FeatherSite.com.

In my opinion, I believe that your little one is showing signs of exhibiting true dwarfism. Her stance in very similar to the Marans pullet and judging from your pictures if her siblings are in the photos with her, her legs are much shorter.

All that to say, she's adorable and so long as she is thriving I wouldn't worry too much about her. I'm not sure how dwarfism effects productivity, but I'd be sure to make certain she can always reach food and water (don't set them too high for her to reach) and that she's happy and safe and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom