Australorps breed Thread

She is 7 months old. As far as the cushion..I have steered clear of lines that have Orpingtons crossed in as it makes them have cushion and to much fluff in the back. At the Crossroads show a couple of years ago you couldn't really tell the difference between the Black Orps and the Australorps. Most lines have English Orp crossed in them at this point which totally changes the look. An Australorp has the same description for type in the Standard as a New Hampshire other than color and that is how I breed them.

Matt

I'm not seeing what you're talking about, a cushion? Wish we had a pic so I could see and learn.

To me there is a lot of difference in the top line of this Hen versus the one here in post #965, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/316084/australorps-breed-thread/960

Am I missing something? I am very new to SOP Chickens/Black Australorps and trying to learn.

Dan

Hi Dan, I don't know if I would say you're missing something but the pictures that you are referencing is not the American SOP. That is from the Australian SOP and it is a bit different than the American.
This is a the current picture in the American SOP for a female Australorp.

Welcome to BYC. I am from Southeast Alabama. South of Enterprise. We grew most of our own food
and processed our own pigs and chickens. If a hen wasn't laying look out. She would be the chicken in the dumplings for Sunday Dinner.

My 25 year old daughter asked if an old hen would be good to eat I told her yes! My Mom would tell us to pick one out that was not laying and then it would become some of the best chicken and dumplings!

Back
Top Bottom