Australorps breed Thread

Stan, I can't wait till retirement! Only like 35 years(or more) to go! Then I could spend more time with the birds, and yes building cages. I was only able to raise 100 or so Australorps and am currently culled down to thirty. Having more pens would be nice to give birds more time before culling begins. Glad to hear things are going well for you!
Cuba, Believe me you can wait! It gets here quicker than you can ever imagine!

Dan

Cuba, Believe me you can wait! It gets here quicker than you can ever imagine!

Dan

lol yeah Dan hubby was like that to and now he wants something to do cuz he's board. ;-) I guess the grass IS always greener on the other side of the fence UNTIL you get there.
wink.png
Although he has been retired for a few years now but it's just not the same when ya can't hang with the guys as much I guess.

I think that would be BORED NOT board! Sorry, my memory with these thyroids acting up is just not acting right. I just noticed I wrote board! LOL

Last edited:
So my theory ...that they need extra calcuim to start laying is not true ?
wouldnt they take calcium from their bones ?

Gramma mine free range most all day so I'm sure they're using what calcium they're getting but then again I'm new to. Also I cut mine about 1/2 with scratch grains as well so they're not getting the full effect of the calcium or the protein. Although I do throw them out some BOSS as well. They run and are very active out there all day long. I guess if they stayed in the pen all day long and wasn't real active they might not need it.
smile.png

I know of some folks that feed the layer and some start as early as a month old. I can't help but wonder WHO comes up with all of this stuff that they don't need calcium until they're laying and that they need mega protein? I'm just curious who comes up with this stuff?
smile.png

Been very busy Kurt! We are leaving for South Carolina Friday, be back on Monday, then have 2 more trips scheduled!. It has been like that for a couple of months. I'm so glad I decided to retire and slow down. WSe are really looking forward to setteling down in the next couple of weeks. Then I can start building new pens!!..........stan
Hi Stan,
Where are you moving to in SC ? Always love to see good poultry folks. I'm in Camden. No Aussies here, but lots of big, gold birds wandering about.

Last edited:
So my theory ...that they need extra calcuim to start laying is not true ?
wouldnt they take calcium from their bones ?

There is enough calcium and minerals in the starter feeds for bone development. Too much calcium can cause problems . If you go to the Purina poultry web site they will give you the age/feed reccomendations. ......Mine get 1 bag of medicated starter, then they go to gamebird/showbird conditioner. When they are ready to sart laying, they get layer or conditioner along with free choice oyster shell......stan

Gramma mine free range most all day so I'm sure they're using what calcium they're getting but then again I'm new to. Also I cut mine about 1/2 with scratch grains as well so they're not getting the full effect of the calcium or the protein. Although I do throw them out some BOSS as well. They run and are very active out there all day long. I guess if they stayed in the pen all day long and wasn't real active they might not need it.
smile.png

I know of some folks that feed the layer and some start as early as a month old. I can't help but wonder WHO comes up with all of this stuff that they don't need calcium until they're laying and that they need mega protein? I'm just curious who comes up with this stuff?
smile.png

I don't want to come across as a know-it-all RoseMarie. I just go by reccomendations from the feed mills and their research, along with what I learn from folks on BYC. Most say to give a balanced feed appropiate for the age and limit snacks like scratch and BOSS. A handfull a day is plenty of treats. Just like raising a child or any other animal....stan

Stan, I can't wait till retirement! Only like 35 years(or more) to go! Then I could spend more time with the birds, and yes building cages. I was only able to raise 100 or so Australorps and am currently culled down to thirty. Having more pens would be nice to give birds more time before culling begins. Glad to hear things are going well for you!

So you are planing an early retirement Kid?? lol.......Planning for it is a wise move, wish I had done a better job of planning and saving! Now I'm not so sure I can afford to build more pens and feed more birds. Been too busy anyway. I don't know how I had time to work!! .......stan

Back
Top Bottom