Australorps breed Thread

The last thing I do at night is feed the birds and a quick head count even if it is 1:30AM. periodically a door gets blown closed or they just decide to roost outside. They are not the brightest, but they have their reasons.
We had wind chills of -39 this past winter and about 3ft of snow. My coop is not insulated and unheated and I had a couple of roos with frost bite combs. The coop is straight over the truck on the left. What a winter! The ice storm from Christmas eve caused ice covered side roads that didn't melt untli March. It just has to be wind proof and the will be fine. The snow is almost gone now and Maple Sugaring is over this weekend. Still hit 10 yesterday morning.
There has to be some dedication and yes, a bit of self-sacrifice in taking care of all farm animals. Fancy Letter heads will not aussage common sense and willingness to forgo our own creature comforts in the effort to assure those of our charges.

The last thing I do at night is feed the birds and a quick head count even if it is 1:30AM. periodically a door gets blown closed or they just decide to roost outside. They are not the brightest, but they have their reasons.
We had wind chills of -39 this past winter and about 3ft of snow. My coop is not insulated and unheated and I had a couple of roos with frost bite combs. The coop is straight over the truck on the left. What a winter! The ice storm from Christmas eve caused ice covered side roads that didn't melt untli March. It just has to be wind proof and the will be fine. The snow is almost gone now and Maple Sugaring is over this weekend. Still hit 10 yesterday morning.

That is the last thing I do Every evening also! I had a couple that decided they were not going in to roost during one of our snow storms this winter. I convinced them it was the best idea. I figure it is my job to watch over them as best I can and not lose chickens because of their stupidity or mine. Enough things can go wrong without letting things that can be easily avoided take my chickens lives.

Dan

Quote:
I have a open air style coop / run ( in new york state ) . For the winter I put up plastic all around inside plastic on the one open wall .
A couple blankets between the coop & run so they didnt have to heat the whole area ( my coop & run are one )
Front

Back

Main coop / run
Roost went the opposite way
Blanket went in the middle ..where the white chicken is .. Down at night ...corner lifted up during the day .
The temps in the coop area stayed between 20 - 30 in the winter with them heating it
16 chickens in a space 3 foot by 12 ft maybe .
The left side was still the run area ..they could get to it by pushing the blanket out or going under the hen house ( all is enclosed ..)
We have a baby run / coop on the end ..I use that for storage in the winter ( dried grass / leaves to add to the coop for deep litter

Last edited:
I believe the point should have been driven home by now. It's sad enough to lose birds under circumstances over which we have absolutely no control but to lose them for being too trifling to check on them ESPECIALLY during periods of very extreme weather conditions and relying on the instincts of a bird with a brain the size of a grain of sand.....well, it's useless to belabor the point.

I believe the point should have been driven home by now. It's sad enough to lose birds under circumstances over which we have absolutely no control but to lose them for being too trifling to check on them ESPECIALLY during periods of very extreme weather conditions and relying on the instincts of a bird with a brain the size of a grain of sand.....well, it's useless to belabor the point.
I am the "Top Roo" of my flock and take my responsibilities very seriously. I made the choice to become a flock keeper. It was not one done (especially in our harsh environment) without due preparation and research. I am sure that at some point I will lose at least one bird to something other than illness but I am trying my best that it not be from something I could have prevented.

That is why I joined BYC. To learn, and continue my education, from all of you flockmasters. And yes, learn from the mistakes made by others. Thank you all in advance for having the courage to share so that others can learn from them.

Does anyone know of a BBS Australorp breeder from Georgia? I bought 24 hatching eggs from a seller in TN. He says he bought his foundation stock from a breeder during a poultry swap meet but did not write down the name of that breeder. He did not realize how rare BBS Aussies were in the US. I saw his birds and they are clearly Australorps, they don't appear to be a mix. I would just like to know their lineage.

I may have to cull my only Australorp. She is a bully and it got better for a few weeks when they moved into their coop/run but it has started again. The other chickens run from her and she wont let them in the coop at night either. MEAN! I am so sad as this was the ONE breed I HAD to have!

I may have to cull my only Australorp.  She is a bully and it got better for a few weeks when they moved into their coop/run but it has started again.  The other chickens run from her and she wont let them in the coop at night either.  MEAN!  I am so sad as this was the ONE breed I HAD to have!  
bad stock. They are supposed to be gentle giants if I'm not mistaken? Or is this typical for the breed? I had an australorp mix that was a bully just to be a bully

I may have to cull my only Australorp. She is a bully and it got better for a few weeks when they moved into their coop/run but it has started again. The other chickens run from her and she wont let them in the coop at night either. MEAN! I am so sad as this was the ONE breed I HAD to have!
I'd get rid of (whatever else you have) and keep the Australorp. Get other Australorps or breeds to contend with her.

Assuming you are a novice, mixing breeds seems to be a problem, especially if the other breeds are push-overs.

Back
Top Bottom