Australorps breed Thread

Stan? Kurt? Anyone? Have any comments about the fact that my TC boy is throwing chicks with much blacker down. Does it mean anything you think? or really means nothing? Opinions? Comments? or Guesses are welcome.

Dan
I gots nothing! Not really sure it matters. I know there was a lot of discussion on this thread about how to make the blackest birds with the green sheen which is what we want, rather than the purple or blue sheen that is not desirable, but I don't remember any of that talk revolving around chick down color. If the parent birds all have a nice green sheen, it will be interesting to see if you see a discernible difference in the adult plumage when it comes in....... I won't even make a guess....... unless it is the mean gene???? lol

Here are some pics of our Australorps. They are 6 weeks old. Pic #1 is one bird and the 2nd and 3rd are the other. The one with the prominent comb.

I gots nothing! Not really sure it matters. I know there was a lot of discussion on this thread about how to make the blackest birds with the green sheen which is what we want, rather than the purple or blue sheen that is not desirable, but I don't remember any of that talk revolving around chick down color. If the parent birds all have a nice green sheen, it will be interesting to see if you see a discernible difference in the adult plumage when it comes in....... I won't even make a guess....... unless it is the mean gene???? lol
I understand! I just thought it was peculiar that there was such a noted difference in the down color of his chicks. Time will tell!

I always chuckle when I here people talking about the beautiful purple sheen on their BA's! Like you said that is Not a desirable thing.
The Evil, Dark Side, Mean gene!! I did name him Darth Vadar!
gig.gif

Dan

Last edited:
morning

just a quick shout out to all of you in the south and east this morning. A little prayer that you and your birds all made it thru the night and stay safe as the weather service is reporting you all could be in for a wild weekend.

Our late spring snows don't sound so bad right now.

BTW-my Cackle chicks are ALL bright and lively this morning
love.gif

I'm in southern TN and this weather forecast is making me very nervous. I don't think we're in for a system as bad as April 27, 2011, but the set up is still reminding me of that day. My brothers were storm chasers and one is a first responder. They have been warning me that I really don't need to drive on Monday and Tuesday.

I'm in southern TN and this weather forecast is making me very nervous. I don't think we're in for a system as bad as April 27, 2011, but the set up is still reminding me of that day. My brothers were storm chasers and one is a first responder. They have been warning me that I really don't need to drive on Monday and Tuesday.
our local weather guys are saying the setup is a lot like 2011. I guess I didn't catch it went into next week! Stay safe !!!

I HAVE BABIES!!!!

This pic isn't very good but they just arrived and I didn't want to harass them too much.

They arrived in great shape despite the horrible cold weather (we set a new snow record again yesterday, whoopee) The post office said they had never seen chicks arrive in such high quality packaging! The heat pack in their box was still even warm!!!

Other good news! Just a few minutes ago I got a call from a very nice gentleman that wants Max for his mom's little flock! She has been wanting a roo for her ladies and saw Max's pic and fell in love. ( I had just re-posted him on the local Craig's list last night hoping to find him a good home). He is just too large for the little hens I have now and he was beginning to do real harm. Really made my DH happy with the news. He definitely is not a fan of Roos.
roll.png
I feel so good knowing he is going to a good home.
Awww, how cute they are! Remind me of my 4 BA's when I first got mine. Right now they are in that "gawky teenager stage" ..... AAaack!!
barnie.gif

Be careful and watchful! Baton down the hatches and keep your chickens as safe as you can...hoping everything will be okay for you and everyone in your area!

Back
Top Bottom