Australorps breed Thread

Awesome, thank you. If I posted some pics could I get an opinion on decent breeding stock? Im not necessarily looking for show quality, but good solid stock that stays basically true to the breed. I have one little girl and one little boy that my admittedly untrained eye really likes the look of.....
Yes, post pictures!

Here's my two favorites,about 7 weeks old. My first first into raising chicks as our leghorns were already laying when we purchased them.

Here's my two favorites,about 7 weeks old. My first first into raising chicks as our leghorns were already laying when we purchased them.
the look nice so far. It is hard to tell a lot yet. They will change a bunch between now and 30 weeks old.

Oh, and please tell me I've got the sex right! Lol
The top one is a cockerel and the bottom one looks like a pullet so far. Watch the comb and wattles though. Sometimes they will surprise you.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Black with brilliant green sheen (which goes for all black chickens).
Moderately long feathers, everywhere, not close, but not a lot of fluff
Wing tips covered
Arched neck and breast should stick out further in front than the head
Curves everywhere, especially the back, no V or cushion.
Black or dark brown eyes
Bright red face, comb, wattles and earlobes
Black/slate leggs and feet - no yellow, with white or pinkish white soles
White claws
White feathers are a DQ.

Check out the Australorps.com site in Austrailia, lots of pictures even though their standard is slightly different than ours you can download it.
Ron,Ron,Chet,Kurt, and a bunch of others really know their Aussies.
What a great list to refer to...thanks! I have a question: beaks...is there a certain coloration they should be?

I am so glad this thread has switched back to talking about birds!! I feel more welcome now that everyone is done with who is and who is not welcome...
Focusing on birds keeps everyone, especially me, feeling welcome!
Those are some beautiful birds, Maat... and that top bird from morgan999 looks a bit roo-ey to me, too.
From what I understand BAs can surprise you when it comes to gender! I had a very rooish looking bird at 4 weeks. Now they're 8 weeks and although that bird still has more red in it's comb, he/she is looking more like the other two now. Fingers crossed it's not a roo!

Just wondering.... Im super friendly to my chicks. They get organic feed and fresh water everyday, as well as pulled weeds from my garden and pulp from my juicer. BUT THEY ARE DEATHLY AFRAID OF ME!! I keep reading about how friendly BAs are... and I'm hoping it's just an age thing, bc mine still have not warmed up to me :( and, when I let them free range they go immediately to hide in the bushes. Every. Single. Time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom