Australorps breed Thread

She will--the nice hormones will come back after the broodiness breaks.
Oh good, she back in box.... With every hair in her body sticking up! I'll let her do her thing. I don't feel she will follow through. She laid yesterday so sign number one.
How many eggs can you out under these lady's ? My OEG had 10 9-10 hatch rate with the 10 th fully developed but didn't make it to air sack.
She's 1/3 the size of Oreo .

Last edited:
Speaking of hormones...cockerels are coming into their testosterone. I am rehoming my Aussie that is to be culled to a nice pet home. He took a point off my little Isbar cockerel that I am keeping for breeding. I have one blue Orp/Aussie cockerel terrorizing the pullets he is with in the grow out pen. Juveniles are too rough and no one is needing to be bred, too young. How do I deal with 3 or 4 cockerels, all the same age, until they are mature enough for breeding? I'm thinking of making some bachelor pads in the barn with runs attached on the opposite side from the hens and pullets But it would need shade cloth for part of the day. In the late afternoon it would be in full shade.

Speaking of hormones...cockerels are coming into their testosterone. I am rehoming my Aussie that is to be culled to a nice pet home. He took a point off my little Isbar cockerel that I am keeping for breeding. I have one blue Orp/Aussie cockerel terrorizing the pullets he is with in the grow out pen. Juveniles are too rough and no one is needing to be bred, too young. How do I deal with 3 or 4 cockerels, all the same age, until they are mature enough for breeding? I'm thinking of making some bachelor pads in the barn with runs attached on the opposite side from the hens and pullets But it would need shade cloth for part of the day. In the late afternoon it would be in full shade.

I feel you there.

We put one of our mamas into a pen with Little Mister for a girlfriend. Had we not dusted them for parasites yesterday, we would have missed a gaping wound in her side from him treading her too rough.

On top of that, it's been raining non-stop for three days, so every time he would slip, he'd stuff more MUD down into the wound.

I feel sick.

She's in the garage in the spa/infirmary with a heat lamp, boiled eggs, meal worms, and a pile of anibiotic ointment stuffed in her side.

The answer is either a bachelor pad or a stock pot. *grumble*

Happy weekend, everyone.

MrsB

Last edited:

Most breeders have cock pens that they put the cocks in as soon as they start to crow and then fill the breeding pens when the pullets are laying.

That is my concern as well, injury. That Orp/Aussie is huge. I have one chocolate rooster in with 2 bantam hens, they don't get hurt. He doesn't attempt to tread them, doesn't need to. Much more gentlemanly behavior.

That is my concern as well, injury. That Orp/Aussie is huge. I have one chocolate rooster in with 2 bantam hens, they don't get hurt. He doesn't attempt to tread them, doesn't need to. Much more gentlemanly behavior.

Sounds like we have the same situation.

My other Aussie roo is a perfect gentleman. He got to Big Mama before we did, and I was afraid he was going to tread her with her injury, but he actually *protected* her from the other hens until we could get her out of the pasture and into the infirmary. HE IS SUCH A GOOD ROOSTER.

Avoid my mistake.

Build pens for your "extra" males.

MrsB

Silkies in General dont roost ...you could put her up on it ..she may stay ...may not .
I have heard that, she does roost, but just on the low rung. She spent all last winter by herself with nobody for warmth. Spent two weekends renovating to fix that and she is still by herself LOL

Oh well, I have two options it seems, build a ladder for her, or let her hatch more babies so they fill the top perch and some have to sit on the bottom with her.

Hmmmmm now which to choose, which to choose ;-)

Last edited:
I have heard that, she does roost, but just on the low rung. She spent all last winter by herself with nobody for warmth. Spent two weekends renovating to fix that and she is still by herself LOL

Oh well, I have two options it seems, build a ladder for her, or let her hatch more babies so they fill the top perch and some have to sit on the bottom with her.

You nee more slikies!
lau.gif

You NEED more silkies, Quit this nonsense about not getting more!!!!!
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom