Australorps breed Thread

Howdy Kurt, The one splash is awesome! had 4 blue pullets, one has the best markings, one is wry tailed but good egg layer the other 2 are nice, just a little light.
As with any breeding pens.........the more offspring, the bigger variety of keepers and culls. A person can have 100 chicks hatch out and nature dictates which are show quality and which are BBQ. We took Reserve Grand Champion Large Fowl , Best of Class, Best of Breed in 2014 Winter Show in Safford.
We had 5 excellent birds to take to the show out of 32 hatched birds, the others were nice but not great and some ended up on the kitchen table. It's a crap shoot and no guarantees even when using the best of the best in your flock. You pray the offspring will be like the parents but that is not the case. Some breeding pens create great males and poor females and visa-versa. No matter, we enjoy the hobby and accept the good with the bad and the bad taste pretty good!

I got these ladies purely by mistake, but I'm so glad I did. They're quickly becoming my favorite breed!

Our broody mama hatched some more chicks. :) So far, 5 out of 6!

We're letting the final egg sit through the night. It goes over the fence if it doesn't hatch by the morning.

Love a good broody!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Maybe she was feeling it coming down the pipes....LOL

Lol, maybe. She psyched me out so many times, making nests, sitting there, getting up and singing and then nothing there, lol. Both this Australorp and my Wyondotte just started laying this week. Since then, it almost seems like the Wyondotte and Australorps start singing if they see one off the other girls, who haven't started laying yet, sitting in a nest box. Now, neither have been singing when they actually lay an egg. I guess they have their own definition for what the egg song means. This is my first time having chickens and I never dreamed their behavior could be so entertaining!

Opinion on what exactly :). On look of yours? Or on their temperament?

Well I'm deciding on getting an Australorp or Sussex rooster so was just wondering on there temperament, ability to get their hens out of trouble and just general things

She's been keeping me in suspense for the past two weeks but she finally layed her first egg! She is 19 1/2 weeks old now. Kinda funny, she has been singing up a storm for weeks but didn't make a peep after she actually laid an egg.

When were your chicks hatched? I don't remember how old they are, they were hatched March 9

Back
Top Bottom