Australorps breed Thread

Well I'm deciding on getting an Australorp or Sussex rooster so was just wondering on there temperament, ability to get their hens out of trouble and just general things

I have 2 australorp roosters. They each have 5 girls. I open both pens at the same time, Duke takes his girls in one direction and Junior takes his girls in the opposite direction. When the girls decide to mingle with each other the boys stay on the outskirts of the flock keeping guard. There is no fighting or bickering between the 2 boys. They are very good with me and when I'm away my 13 yr old neighbor comes and takes care of them. He's never had a problem.

Two years ago I had An Australorp rooster seriously injure a Hawk that was going after his girls. Unfortunately both lost the battle. He was going to be my keeper, he was huge and very gentle with his girls and me. Maybe I've just been lucky, but all of my Aussie roos have been really nice birds., Mine are not hatchery birds, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I've also had Speckled Sussex roos, they were big jerks. Very rough with their girls and nasty toward me, and they were not hatchery birds. They all received free tickets to freezer camp !!

I would definetly recommend an Australorp rooster.
thumbsup.gif

I agree, I have 3 Australorp Roosters and 1 Light Susex and some other breeds as well. My Australorps are the best. They are very gentle with the girls but I must say the Light Susex is also very gentle but he is more protective than the Australorps. If a hen makes a sound, the Susex is right there. He kicked me today because I picked a hen up that I caught braking eggs so I caught her to put her in another space away from the eggs. The Australorps didn't even bother. I also had Speckled Sussex roosters before but they are not nice at all. they killed a few smaller chickens, very rought with the girls and they will jump on other roosters as if they are going to mate with a hen. it looks like they are trying to brake the other roosters necks. So no speckled susex for me ever again. I like the light susex, but my Australorps are my pride.

When were your birds hatched? Before or after March 9? Wondering if my australorp should start soon.

These ones were picked up in February, so they are around 23 weeks. They did not come from the best breeding. And only 2 appear to be laying out of 5
1f612.png

But we have 15 from a high quality breeder and they are around 16 weeks and are already much more verbal, making nests, etc so I wouldn't be surprised if they start laying around 18-21 weeks

Nine is down to six eggs. They're definitely fertile and growing. She's eating ones that get cracked when she jumps up and down for her daily dusting and eating rituals. Started with thirteen. Nine days to go. I think she's going to be a mean mama.

Nine is down to six eggs. They're definitely fertile and growing. She's eating ones that get cracked when she jumps up and down for her daily dusting and eating rituals. Started with thirteen. Nine days to go. I think she's going to be a mean mama.

How do you know they get cracked BEFORE she starts eating them?

That seems like a strangely large amount of cracked eggs. 7 eggs in less than 2 weeks sounds more like she's just eating them.

Has she hatched before? Think I'd be nervous if she's eating 3/4 developed eggs she might eat fully developed chicks

Last edited:
How do you know they get cracked BEFORE she starts eating them?

That seems like a strangely large amount of cracked eggs. 7 eggs in less than 2 weeks sounds more like she's just eating them.

Has she hatched before? Think I'd be nervous if she's eating 3/4 developed eggs she might eat fully developed chicks

I've seen it happen more than once. She's sitting in a five gallon bucket. It wobbles. Normally I collect the shell and innards. She just eats the stuff that gets on her.

Nine is a first time momma. She'll either be good or she won't. Hopefully next time she picks a better spot.

And mine started laying!

But the bantams i have that are the same age as her aren't laying yet, most are squatting.

Congratulations, it's so exciting isn't it! Im still waiting on my barred rocks and Easter Egger to start but I honestly wasnt expecting anything until mid August, so I'm thrilled.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom