Australorps breed Thread

And mine started laying!

But the bantams i have that are the same age as her aren't laying yet, most are squatting.
I would have to look into it, but bamtams are usually crossed to make them smaller. They are not really the same as Large fowl australorps so time to lay will be different.

So one of my hatchery Australorps is showing signs of broodiness. Really didn't see that coming.
roll.png

I dont have bantam Australorps, just bantams.
thumbsup.gif
That makes sense!

The average for all breeds is about 22 weeks for the first egg. Leghorns and some sexlinks will start at 16ish weeks while some will start(with 12 to 14 hours of day light) at about 30 weeks.

I hope the bantams lay eggs for you soon!

I got 2 Australorps because they get such good reviews. I did not have any luck with them. Laverne got a prolapsed uterus after 4 months of egg laying and had to be culled. Her sister has been broody twice, so we haven't had many eggs from her. Bad luck or luck of the breed?

I got 2 Australorps because they get such good reviews. I did not have any luck with them. Laverne got a prolapsed uterus after 4 months of egg laying and had to be culled. Her sister has been broody twice, so we haven't had many eggs from her. Bad luck or luck of the breed?

It is likely a hatchery issue with the ones you have. BAs are one of the few breeds that you can get from a hatchery that are like their description--but a bit smaller and etc.

I am not saying they are Standard, but they are nice. My first BAs came from Cackle and they have had no egg laying issues. I have two of the original 5 and they are 5 years old now.

Last edited:
"I am not saying they are Standard, but they are nice. My first BAs came from Cackle and they have had no egg laying issues. I have two of the original 5 and they are 5 years old now."

And do they still lay? I just started with five and hope to keep them a long time. They have a permanent home even after they stop laying.

"I am not saying they are Standard, but they are nice. My first BAs came from Cackle and they have had no egg laying issues. I have two of the original 5 and they are 5 years old now."

And do they still lay? I just started with five and hope to keep them a long time. They have a permanent home even after they stop laying.
They lay an egg every once in a while in the spring and summer.

It is hard to tell that they are as old as they are too.

Back
Top Bottom