Australorps breed Thread

Oh wow, so 5 is old for a chicken. I guess I will have to get replacements earlier than I thought if I want an egg supply.
smile.png
Chickens lay very well for about 2 years and then they slow down considerably after that.

Question,

How do you decide to cull your roosters? We weren't supposed to have any and ended up with 3.

That's a rather vague question. Are you asking how we decide to cull any of them, or how do we determine which to cull, ...?

I determined that one of my cockerels would be a cull at hatch time based on the fact that he was breech, a runt compared to the others, and a chronic complainer. I'm letting him grow out to a nice size for eating before I butcher him. Others I've culled for mean temperament. Life's just too short to deal with being attacked by a nasty cockerel. And others I weed out because 1) I have a surplus of cockerels, and 2) they aren't breeder material.

That's a rather vague question. Are you asking how we decide to cull any of them, or how do we determine which to cull, ...?

I determined that one of my cockerels would be a cull at hatch time based on the fact that he was breech, a runt compared to the others, and a chronic complainer. I'm letting him grow out to a nice size for eating before I butcher him. Others I've culled for mean temperament. Life's just too short to deal with being attacked by a nasty cockerel. And others I weed out because 1) I have a surplus of cockerels, and 2) they aren't breeder material.

Be honest...you have developed a 'killer instinct'. Your husband and son know...they're just watching their 'Ps&Qs'!
celebrate.gif

Just kidding...I'm glad you answered the question. I was misunderstanding it...I think. I was getting the impression that they weren't allowed to have cockerels but after reading your response...I see I was have having a senile moment...having more and more of those lately. I wouldn't be surprised if my family didn't have papers written up for me already, just waiting for the right time.
bun.gif

Thank you, we just have to many roosters for our flock and there's starting to be fights between the 3. It's nothing horrible from the stories I have heard but I just don't know which ones to cull and which to keep.

Side note: I am wanting to breed down the road. Any recommendations for standard that I can look up?

Be honest...you have developed a 'killer instinct'. Your husband and son know...they're just watching their 'Ps&Qs'!
celebrate.gif

Just kidding...I'm glad you answered the question. I was misunderstanding it...I think. I was getting the impression that they weren't allowed to have cockerels but after reading your response...I see I was have having a senile moment...having more and more of those lately. I wouldn't be surprised if my family didn't have papers written up for me already, just waiting for the right time.
bun.gif

yuckyuck.gif
Ron, I've ALWAYS had a killer instinct. My husband watched me reduce a guy much larger than myself to tears as he folded up into the fetal position on the floor. And my son, as a child, witnessed me getting between him and a very mean large dog and "roar" at it until it ran off whimpering. They know I'm a nurturer by nature, but positively fierce when necessary.

Back
Top Bottom