Australorps breed Thread

I know!!!! They eat the same layer feed as my others and prefer to forage over eating fermented mash...but their poops are huge! My son actually thought the dogs had gotten into the "chicken area" when he saw them.

Their eggs are huge too though, so it's a fair trade-off.
big_smile.png
I gave FF a long look and a very long trial...One would have thought I had Cornish X from the smell and looks of the place at the time. Went NO where in Birkenstocks then, (my three-season footwear). If that were the ONLY way to feed chickens...I'd not have chickens.

D.gif

Hi all - I have three aussies and will be introducing into my flock soon. They are about 3 1/2 months but I have them in the house (in a very large cage). I have two Jersey giants, an Easter egger, two polish bantam , a black laced bantam, and 2 white leghorn bantams. They should get along, right? I am going to give the 2 white ones away because they pick on my polish. It also has been very hot here so we have been refurbishing the coop a little.

Aussies make great mother's, too. Hatchery stock may not go broody add often, if never, but.... They are excellent mother's and can raise large broods. My small hen, 'Nine' just raised a batch of eight. She started with six, lost two ( drowned in duck pool) adopted four. She was a mess. Mrs. B always has broodies, also.

I do, indeed! My one broody mama named "Broody Mama" has gone broody twice and raised 9 and 5 chicks at each hatch.

Ironically, she's one of the hatchery birds!! :D

MrsB

Hi all - I have three aussies and will be introducing into my flock soon. They are about 3 1/2 months but I have them in the house (in a very large cage). I have two Jersey giants, an Easter egger, two polish bantam , a black laced bantam, and 2 white leghorn bantams. They should get along, right? I am going to give the 2 white ones away because they pick on my polish. It also has been very hot here so we have been refurbishing the coop a little.
Well I dont know a lot about the aussies but i have heard from multiple people that they do get a along with other breeds so I think they should be ok :)

I had 2 Speckled Sussex, 3 Black Australorps and one little White EE. What I noticed most about the BAs, is that they kind of stick together even though the whole flock was raised together. Everybody picks on the EE a little, but I think it's bc she was the smallest and the only one who was light in color. Even the "picking" was pretty mild though. Nobody has ever gotten injured from it. Our favorite BA is a pullet named "Lucy". She is totally awesome and laid back. She loves hanging around people, and my kids are constantly picking her up and loving on her. My other 2 BAs are friendly as long as you have treats. They'll hang around us as long as we don't try to touch them. We're working on that. :)

They are typically quiet and docile. If you have a mixed flock, expect them to be near the bottom of the pecking order.

MrsB

I've always had one black australorp at a time and they are always at the top of the pecking order but they are very nice about it, I hardly see them peck the other chickens at all

Last edited:
Thanks to all for answers. The aussies are sweet but I can't get into where they are all day so I think they are a bit mad at me right now. They quiet down once I can sit with them. Never heard chickens growling before. As soon as I put my hands out then they stop.

Back
Top Bottom