Australorps breed Thread

Yes, you can tell blue from black at hatch.

So even a dark blue will look light enough to be able pick it? Or will the black have more yellow or something like that?

At the moment I'm thinking it's two blacks which would be typical lol. Two years trying to get a blue to end up with two blacks and a splash lol

So even a dark blue will look light enough to be able pick it? Or will the black have more yellow or something like that?

At the moment I'm thinking it's two blacks which would be typical lol. Two years trying to get a blue to end up with two blacks and a splash lol

This guy in the front is blue. The ones in the back are black and the one to the right is blue also.

When older:

Cute ...could they both be ? 1/2 Aussies can be black too .
What kind of hen is that ? Pretty feather patterns
One of the eggs that these chicks hatched from is from my breeding pen which only contains my bantam Australorp hens and rooster. The other egg is from my mixed flock... The only black bird I have in the mixed flock is a spangled hamburg mix - she is actually the sister of the broody hen who's hatched these eggs. There aren't any Australorps or Australorp crosses in my mixed flock, so only one of these chicks is an Australorp.

I've noticed that the darker chick has small flecks of white/yellow on the top of it's head (not like the yellow patches that Australorps have) so I'm thinking that is the mixed breed.

I suppose once they're older, their eyes will tell me for sure which one is which :p

Here's a shot of the mother hen :)

Last edited:
Quote: Is she a spangled hamburg? She is Pretty
It is pretty easy to tell a grey even at hatch ..This is my cuckoo maran mix - olive eggers
Boy -

Girl
0.jpg
Lil Grey was tired I think ....Momma wanted to dustbatthe.
I can see her saying at the end " oh Mamma you got me all dirty " as she preens herself

These really are some scruffy looking chicks. At what point do they become little fluff balls? Even the one that is over 24 hrs old still doesn't look like a fluffy day old chick.

There is a big size difference too. The second to hatch looks half the size of the first one.

These really are some scruffy looking chicks. At what point do they become little fluff balls? Even the one that is over 24 hrs old still doesn't look like a fluffy day old chick.

There is a big size difference too. The second to hatch looks half the size of the first one.

If they were sticky, it can take a day for the dried on stuff to come off.

You can wash them and dry time with a blow dryer. Chicks love hair dryers too.

Back
Top Bottom