Australorps breed Thread

Yeah we did that with ours too (carry him) but he hated my youngest and she couldn't even go outside if he was out. and even stalked the kids. My eldest was hanging washing out and he snuck up on her, every time she looked he stopped, she turned her back he got closer till he attacked. She chased him down and put him under her arm but he whipped his head round and drew blood mm's below her eye. Little sheet he was. He was beautiful but mean.
Yeah, roosters like that have no place with me!

Evening all. My 3 babies have still been laying but for about 4 or 5 days we couldn't find more than 1, or none. My 70 lb. chocolate labrador that thinks she is a chicken (don't ask!) started doing circles near an old tire in the corner of my yard. I walk over, start looking under and found about a dozen (very small) eggs. All of a sudden one of my babies - Black Pearl comes over, jump on the tire and starts chirping and clucking softly, looking at me and then the eggs as if she is telling me a story about why these were all here. Then the dog comes up right behind her and she turns towards her and started "growling" like they do. The chicken dog ran back to her kennel and sat in her dog house. Wish I had this on camera.
Five minutes later we got hit with torrential rains and I had to carry one bird and herd the dog through at least 6 inches of water to the coop while the 8 other birds were in the corner screaming their little lungs out.
All were ok but I had to camp out with them until the rain slowed down.

yip you have a broody hen

Yep! Someone is definitely looking to be a mama! Funny story about your "chicken dog".
big_smile.png

Yes I think so, don't know for sure. There is another hatched on the same day that has a bigger comb, but this one still has a pretty big comb for it's age.

It's behavior over the next week may tell you a lot too. Not only will that comb continue to grow significantly bigger than the other chicks' combs, but it will stand differently than the others...usually more upright more often...and may roost before the others and be more attentive to you. All of my little cockerels are always the ones to run to my hand while the others run away, the first to try to roost and stand higher than everyone else.....they start their rooster behaviors at a very young age.
wink.png

It's behavior over the next week may tell you a lot too. Not only will that comb continue to grow significantly bigger than the other chicks' combs, but it will stand differently than the others...usually more upright more often...and may roost before the others and be more attentive to you. All of my little cockerels are always the ones to run to my hand while the others run away, the first to try to roost and stand higher than everyone else.....they start their rooster behaviors at a very young age. ;)

I've heard that before, which going by behaviour and nothing else is why I think I've got one of each in my two week olds. Will be interesting to see if I'm right :)

I lost the silkie in my profile pic today it and two of my BA chicks got eaten by a mongoose, got into the brooder room luckily the black chick is in the brooder in my room. We only found the wings and legs poor things hope they died quickly.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry!

I hope they cannot get it any more.

Back
Top Bottom