Australorps breed Thread

Some photos of my babies :)

My oldest now 5 weeks old... A blue one that I am pretty sure is female.

Then my younger 3. 1 black, 1 blue and 1 splash, all about 3.5 weeks old.

Black chick, I suspecting a male.

Splash chick, definitely a male!

Blue chick, suspected pullet.

I've got another 2 bantam australorp eggs hatching next week, I was really hoping for a female splash, so if I'm lucky, both will be splash and at least one will be female
fl.gif

Yours have a lot more red in all their combs by the look of it than mine. Hope that isn't a sign you have all roosters lol.

Fingers crossed you get your little splash hen in these next couple!

Yours have a lot more red in all their combs by the look of it than mine. Hope that isn't a sign you have all roosters lol.

Fingers crossed you get your little splash hen in these next couple!
I don't think so (At least I hope not, haha!)

The 5 week old blue one has a tiny comb compared to the chicks that she was hatched with!

This is my Bantam Australorp X Plymouth Rock, same age as the 5 week old blue chick. His comb is huge!! All the roosters in that bunch have combs like this, then the two girls have very small combs in comparison.

I don't think so (At least I hope not, haha!) The 5 week old blue one has a tiny comb compared to the chicks that she was hatched with! This is my Bantam Australorp X Plymouth Rock, same age as the 5 week old blue chick. His comb is huge!! All the roosters in that bunch have combs like this, then the two girls have very small combs in comparison.
He is gorgeous!

Well we are a week later and the one I thought was a going to be a boy still has no more size or redness in its comb than the other one. Starting to think I may have hatched just girls. Surely by six weeks there should be a noticeable comb difference.

Last edited:
Well we are a week later and the one I thought was a going to be a boy still has no more size or redness in its comb than the other one. Starting to think I may have hatched just girls. Surely by six weeks there should be a noticeable comb difference.
You'd think there would be a difference by now for sure!

How do you manage to always hatch girls?? You lucky duck!

Although I suppose that messes up your plans of hatching your own Australorp eggs :/

I must say I bought my first ever shipped eggs a few weeks ago... bought 16, only 1 hatched... You'd definitely have more luck hatching eggs that aren't shipped!

You'd think there would be a difference by now for sure!

How do you manage to always hatch girls?? You lucky duck!

Although I suppose that messes up your plans of hatching your own Australorp eggs :/

I must say I bought my first ever shipped eggs a few weeks ago... bought  16, only 1 hatched... You'd definitely
have more luck hatching eggs that aren't shipped!

Yeah it sounds good when you say I've hatched 100% girls for the last two years.......then you add it was only three chicks lol. Mind you my normal luck would be 100% boys lol

If they are both girls I'm not sure if I just give up on trying for my blue or try again one last time.

I have wondered if having eggs sent by courier might get a better result. Australia post is so rough on them.

Yeah...my Australorp mixes are six weeks old today and there is a very obvious difference between the boys and girls. Unfortunately, unlike you, I wound up with three cockerels and one pullet. Two of those cockerels are so incredibly sweet and friendly....and the last thing I need around here is more cockerels.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom