Australorps breed Thread

Love your birds!

Here's my "youngster" Spencer again. Top view. I have better pictures on my camera I need to upload. He's about eight months now and finally filling his frame.

Edit: his tail isn't that crooked, I had to take a fast shot while he was eating so he didn't think I was trying to catch him.

Catch as Catch Can ...LOL

Our first batch of chicks were 9 Australorps - 3 M 6 F. Unfortunately, shortly after they started laying all but one roo got wiped out by coyotes. We then got another batch of 14 that were a variety - EE, RIR, Sex Links and maybe something else. The breeder we got them from told us we would have to get rid of our Sidney because he would kill our youngsters (5-8 wks). We figured we would give him a chance though and he was a perfect gentleman. They all had a healthy respect for him but he never gave anyone more than a quick peck. It took him a while to really accept them as his flock but as they reached maturity it turned out that 6 of the 14 were roos who for the most part harassed the pullets pretty badly. All the girls started running to Sidney for protection. Last weekend we finally culled 5 of the cockerels and things have gotten much more peaceful. Sidney and Howie (the remaining JR) seem to get along quite well and our egg production has already started to pick up.

Our first batch of chicks were 9 Australorps - 3 M 6 F. The breeder we got them from told us we would have to get rid of our Sidney because he would kill our youngsters (5-8 wks).
So Is Sidney a Aussie ?
They are quite gentlemen in general ...thats why I like mine ..as a Head Roo...
Glad you decided to wait & see

So I was just looking at my 6 week old blue pullet. She's a lighter blue than the parents and any others I've hatched. Today I noticed something odd on her neck... turns out it's a few black feathers, like the dark patches you see on splash Australorps. Is this normal or common in blues?

So I was just looking at my 6 week old blue pullet. She's a lighter blue than the parents and any others I've hatched. Today I noticed something odd on her neck... turns out it's a few black feathers, like the dark patches you see on splash Australorps. Is this normal or common in blues?

Be patient--You will not know what you have until the final Juvenal molt. The feathers you see now are not adult feathers and will change a bunch when they are finished growing.

For BBS genetics, you have to breed back to black every once in awhile or the color will fade.

Last edited:

Mine too ...I thought she was full olive egger ( but I think she may have some Aussie too she has black spots

similar to Marker ..my 1/2 aussie

Hi there,
I'm only up to page 165 reading this thread, but thought I might show you a pic of my small 10wk old backyard 'lorp flock.

I'm pretty sure we hatched 3 girls and 3 boys - does everyone agree?? I was really hoping for at least 4 to be girls as we have 4 daughters, one each!
wink.png

We have had no crowing as yet (thankfully, as not allowed where we live - BUT we are about to move to a place on 25 acres on the outskirts where we will be able to keep as many roosters as we want!!
big_smile.png
)

Other point is - the 3 I think are roosters came from eggs from a different place to the 3 I think are pullets.... And the 3 smaller pullet looking ones were hatched from the first eggs of a young girl!!

As far as I am aware, they are pure bred Aussie A-lorps
love.gif

Hi there,
I'm only up to page 165 reading this thread, but thought I might show you a pic of my small 10wk old backyard 'lorp flock.

I'm pretty sure we hatched 3 girls and 3 boys - does everyone agree?? I was really hoping for at least 4 to be girls as we have 4 daughters, one each!
wink.png

We have had no crowing as yet (thankfully, as not allowed where we live - BUT we are about to move to a place on 25 acres on the outskirts where we will be able to keep as many roosters as we want!!
big_smile.png
)

Other point is - the 3 I think are roosters came from eggs from a different place to the 3 I think are pullets.... And the 3 smaller pullet looking ones were hatched from the first eggs of a young girl!!

As far as I am aware, they are pure bred Aussie A-lorps
love.gif

Having 1 rooster to 1 hen ratio is not advised. Because the roosters will fight each other a lot and hens can be over bred making them bald in certain places and can damage egg production. The advised ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens. That way you don't have to worry about bad fights and over breeding. There's something odd about those Black Australorps. The tail feathers don't look like others Black Australorps I've seen. Most Black Australorps tail feathers go straight up like this. What's the protein they're getting? They seem to have more of a meat bird like quality to them it seems. Kind of makes me think Jersey Giant with this sort of structure of your chickens. Also doing a quick glance I believe you might have 4 pullets and 2 cockerels. If you can please just so I'm more sure of myself on my information being correct if you can please, get a picture of the profile of the entire body and if you can picture of the wings. It can make things really easy with a picture of the wing stretched out.
Here's a 4 month old Black Australorp rooster.

Here are all of my Black Australorp pullets.

A few of my pullets tails don't go straight up but they're not rounded.

Back
Top Bottom