Australorps breed Thread

I haven't had Wyandottes before. I have two Silver Laced and a Golden Laced. Compared to the bantam Cochins I used to have these gals are not trusting me, won't eat out of my hand, but they are curious. I've had them since they were 4 wks old. The Barnvelder is shy. The little Australorp is calm, curious, comes running to see what I have.

My friend had some Wyandottes and the red tailed Hawks have killed most of his flock. He really likes them and they are good layers. I kind of like chickens that are friendly and don't mind being picked up and petted. I'm still working on them but it doesn't seem to come naturally unless it's because they're hatchery birds and were 4 wks old when I got them.

Ahh... such nice looking chooks but I do prefer a bird I can pet as well. I am used to owning chooks that will come when called and eat from my hand - I hate feeling separated from a chicken or the idea that one of my chooks fears me.

Your little Australorp sounds like she likes you quite a bit. I once had an Australorp that would run and jump onto my lap to be cuddled when I let her out in the morning, but I'd owned her since she was a day old.
:7

Hey ya'll... I know its not specifically about Australorps, but one of my current chickies (who will be a flock-mate to my Aussie) is NOT doing well... we are desperate for help... so if any of ya'll have experience or advice, and time, I posted about her here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1095203/chick-slipped-tendon-pictures

Thank you!

Have a look at this link was shared with me the other week. I'm pretty sure it mentions slipped tendons. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I just adopted an approximately 11 wk old australorp pullet yesterday. I have 4 hens that are 1 yr old. 2 RIR, 1 SLW, and 1 EE.
Last week I got 2 little EE pullets at the local poultry swap. They were 8 wk old. We had a massive windstorm with 70mph gusts and it damaged my coop. One of the little EE got into the pen with the big girls and they killed her. Luckily the other little EE stayed in her pen.
So I couldn't just raise her by herself. So I adopted the Australorp and another SLW that is about 7-8 wk old.

I have the 3 littles in the big dog crate in my guest room now. We will get the repairs done on the coop by tomorrow. They are all little buddies.

I just adopted an approximately 11 wk old australorp pullet yesterday. I have 4 hens that are 1 yr old. 2 RIR, 1 SLW, and 1 EE.
Last week I got 2 little EE pullets at the local poultry swap. They were 8 wk old. We had a massive windstorm with 70mph gusts and it damaged my coop. One of the little EE got into the pen with the big girls and they killed her. Luckily the other little EE stayed in her pen.
So I couldn't just raise her by herself. So I adopted the Australorp and another SLW that is about 7-8 wk old.

I have the 3 littles in the big dog crate in my guest room now. We will get the repairs done on the coop by tomorrow. They are all little buddies.

That's worrying come introduction time. I'd be watching them like Hawks. I introduced my first Aussie to the flock at 8 weeks and while mum got pecked to remind her of her place the 8 week old was ignored. I introduced the next two at 5 weeks, again ignored. I would be worried about them killing such a young bird, normally younger is easier as they don't see them as a threat to their pecking order.

They are all little buddies.
sorry to hear that ...Could she have gotten injured in the coop damage ?
I agree... be careful when you introduce them later ...
It should probably be supervised ..Glad the little now has friends

The baby killer was separated from the rest of the flock. She was in a big wire dog crate, with a large box full of shavings to nest in. I also believe she was hatchery stock.
If I let her give it a go, I'll do the same thing. I set up a large wire dog crate with a nest box. Move her at night and keep her covered for a couple of days 'til I'm sure she's serious. Thanks :)

Maybe you'll get lucky this time and can be home when they start to hatch.

I haven't had Wyandottes before. I have two Silver Laced and a Golden Laced. Compared to the bantam Cochins I used to have these gals are not trusting me, won't eat out of my hand, but they are curious. I've had them since they were 4 wks old. The Barnvelder is shy. The little Australorp is calm, curious, comes running to see what I have.

My friend had some Wyandottes and the red tailed Hawks have killed most of his flock. He really likes them and they are good layers. I kind of like chickens that are friendly and don't mind being picked up and petted. I'm still working on them but it doesn't seem to come naturally unless it's because they're hatchery birds and were 4 wks old when I got them.

I think hoping for a lap chicken is kind of like hoping for a lap cat. My mother ALWAYS wanted a lap cat and none of the kittens were ever inclined in that direction.

Maybe you'll get lucky this time and can be home when they start to hatch. 

I think hoping for a lap chicken is kind of like hoping for a lap cat. My mother ALWAYS wanted a lap cat and none of the kittens were ever inclined in that direction.

That's funny, my two chihuahuas follow me around until I sit down and they're right there in my lap wether I want them or not, sometimes they beat me to the couch and are waiting for me to sit down.

Dogs are sorta different
wink.png
Even HUGE dogs think they should be in a person's lap.

Back
Top Bottom