Australorps breed Thread

While the word hybrid is bantied about on this site, it is misused. Hybrid is a horse and a mule, a cow and a bison, not a chicken and a chicken. that is a cross breed when talking about varieties and not species. This is all the fault of seed companies that purposely misuse the word hybrid.
I think that people often mean different things when they use the word "hybrid". Some people use it in the way of a Horse+Donkey=Mule or a Lama+Camel=Cama. But other people use it as a Barred Rock+Rhode Island Red= Black Star.

I view the meaning of the word as: something that when bred to itself, will not produce something like itself.

I think that people often mean different things when they use the word "hybrid". Some people use it in the way of a Horse+Donkey=Mule or a Lama+Camel=Cama. But other people use it as a Barred Rock+Rhode Island Red= Black Star.

I view the meaning of the word as: something that when bred to itself, will not produce something like itself.

Hybrid refers to species, crossbreed refers to breed. There's no grey area it's all black and white. Not trying to sound mean it's just that's a topic that gets to me quickly because people will say my Golden Sex link is a hybrid. No it's a crossbreed not hybrid. Spalding peafowl are hybrids not crossbreeds.Hybrids can equal each other when bred together. Crossbreeds can eventually become their own pure breeds after generations of breeding.

Poe my friendliest chicken

I don't mean for this to sound mean or anything but why is it that birds should follow the APA SOP? Not everyone is wants to show poultry in the advanced level, and some people prefer utility strains instead of SOP. SOP is more for show instead of utility like eggs and meat.
It is a common mis conception that the SOP is anti production.

For example, Wry tail is a fault and it is also bad for egg production.

It is a common mis conception that the SOP is anti production.

For example, Wry tail is a fault and it is also bad for egg production.

Not saying they're anti production. It's just the SOP is breeding for what's considered fancy and perfect to the eye than production, it can be seen in other species as well.

Not saying they're anti production. It's just the SOP is breeding for what's considered fancy and perfect to the eye than production, it can be seen in other species as well.
Yes, that is partly true but the SOP also has production in it and the APA is working on getting production back in the standard.

If you want to have pretty birds, or as you said "Fancy" then you can still have them be productive.

Some seem to use the term non sop to justify birds that are actually un healthy. Healthy pretty birds will be more productive and will live longer. I think it is a good thing if members of a breed look like the breed they are supposed to be. If one does not breed towards some standard for a breed they will no longer be that breed.

Because chicken breeds are not determined by genetic testing but by appearance. For example, a red bird is not an SOP Rhode Island Red just because it is red. It has to have the shape and other Characteristics too. Otherwise you will have something that looks more like a Cherry Egger. The same is true for Black Australorps. How many of them from preservation places like Sand Hill do not have the correct curve to the back. Many have a purple sheen and not green. They are also too small and thin. Not all black chickens are Australorps either.

Those may lay eggs well because that is what hatcheries live off of but they do not produce good meat.

What I am trying to say is that you can have both production and a pretty bird that is in the realm of show quality. It is up to you because, after all, they are your chickens and you can do whatever you want with them.

Yes, that is partly true but the SOP also has production in it and the APA is working on getting production back in the standard.

If you want to have pretty birds, or as you said "Fancy" then you can still have them be productive.

Some seem to use the term non sop to justify birds that are actually un healthy. Healthy pretty birds will be more productive and will live longer. I think it is a good thing if members of a breed look like the breed they are supposed to be. If one does not breed towards some standard for a breed they will no longer be that breed.

Because chicken breeds are not determined by genetic testing but by appearance. For example, a red bird is not an SOP Rhode Island Red just because it is red. It has to have the shape and other Characteristics too. Otherwise you will have something that looks more like a Cherry Egger. The same is true for Black Australorps. How many of them from preservation places like Sand Hill do not have the correct curve to the back. Many have a purple sheen and not green. They are also too small and thin. Not all black chickens are Australorps either.

Those may lay eggs well because that is what hatcheries live off of but they do not produce good meat.

What I am trying to say is that you can have both production and a pretty bird that is in the realm of show quality. It is up to you because, after all, they are your chickens and you can do whatever you want with them.
Now I understand. I breed primary for egg production, so I breeder for wider hips, and breed hens the lay longer, and secondary is looks. I like having a chicken following the SOP, I just love having healthy birds, especially when they show it through nice shiny, quality feathers, bright eyes, feel good attitude. That's what I care about is a healthy flock.

Little Betty is 2 weeks old now... She is seriously the sweetest. Between her and my Light Brahma chick, we always have one who we know welcomes a snuggle. She usually relaxes down into my hand, but right before these pics I had thrown down some meal worms, so she was anxious to go scratch around for any leftovers.

Can someone point me to a link where I can study the main differences between Australorps and Orpingtons? I am trying to breed in a new color into Australorps using English Orpingtons and want to make sure that the results don't end up looking more like Orps than Australorps.

Currently I have two cockerels growing up that are Orp-Aus hybrids. Hopefully in 3-4 months I will be able to breed them back to their mother or another black australorp hen to get the new color(s)

Back
Top Bottom