Australorps breed Thread

It look's like she broke open the skin in that area. I hope that it doesn't get infected.

I believe All the pink gets more red when they are about to lay - 5 - 6 months..Put some tripe antibiotic on it it may itch less too . Reg not the one with pain relief

I would worry about WHY the chick is scratching so vigorously. That isn't normal. Any possibility of mites?

Mites, allergies, yeast infection in the ear... gotta be something. Hope you get it figured out!

Vet looked at her today and remarked her skin looked good and was healing well. She said not too worry too much about it being slightly pink as it may just be from being warm, or active...she said no mites, like, infections or yeast/fungi. She said it is most likely neurological and may just be something we have to keep an eye on. On the plus side, except the scratching the vet said she is very healthy. She also said her scratching currently seems to be normal and is likely from her skin healing or new feathers erupting. So...guess it is what it is. I’m still putting vitamin E oil, neosporin and Benadryl cream on it, hoping it’ll get much better.

That's good to hear. So maybe it's just like when you have a new eyelash growing in and it makes your eyelid all twitchy and weird feeling and you just want to rub and scratch it until you get pinkeye... hahahaha!!!! Or am I the only one that happens to??

Vet looked at her today and remarked her skin looked good and was healing well. She said not too worry too much about it being slightly pink as it may just be from being warm, or active...she said no mites, like, infections or yeast/fungi. She said it is most likely neurological and may just be something we have to keep an eye on. On the plus side, except the scratching the vet said she is very healthy. She also said her scratching currently seems to be normal and is likely from her skin healing or new feathers erupting. So...guess it is what it is. I’m still putting vitamin E oil, neosporin and Benadryl cream on it, hoping it’ll get much better.

I'm glad that she's ok!

That's good to hear. So maybe it's just like when you have a new eyelash growing in and it makes your eyelid all twitchy and weird feeling and you just want to rub and scratch it until you get pinkeye... hahahaha!!!! Or am I the only one that happens to??

Your eye's weren't pink the last time I seen you! :D

Is that why my lid gets twitchy ??? Gah I hate that !:barnie
:lol:

I can send you my two 5.5 year old Faverolles. Never were particularly good layers, and not in the winter even though they are "supposed to be" winter layers. They do go broody 2 or 3 times a year though.

Thanks for the offer. I've got Australorps, Buffs and Barred Rocks growing up. Surely I'll get one or two from that bunch.

Of those 3 I have only BAs. Only 1 goes broody but she's done a good job raising 2 batches of chicks from Meyer. I have 2 White Rocks. One went broody once last year and once the year before. Easily broken both times.

The reason I don't have any BOs is due to their claimed likelihood of going broody. Of course Meyer claims EEs are broody and lay Medium eggs. I've never had one go broody and after they get in the groove, a given individual lays L to XL and sometimes Jumbo.

I'm going to be working toward a heavier flock of EE's with broodiness. I love EE's, but to me they are flighty and a little light to be good in the pot. I want a colorful egg basket but heritage attributes. I'm figuring the BA's and Buffs will be a good foundation for that.

Are you going to buy an APA Ameraucana rooster to guarantee the blue egg gene or do a lot of test breeding with existing EEs to increase your odds of the offspring getting a blue egg gene?

Back
Top Bottom