Australorps breed Thread

Since Langshans were used to develop the Orpington, and the Orp was the forerunner of the Australorp, who had further Langshan blood introduced, I can see that working well! Mr. Cook considered the Langshan to be the foundation of his original black orps. He loved them but couldn't stand the foot feathering because of the potential problems that might cause.
ETA: The only real problem he had with Langshans besides this, and with most American breeds, were that they were too small to make a decent table bird, in his opinion, because too much emphasis was put on laying. Which makes me chuckle when I think of the Australorp and the reasons it was developed - FROM his Orpingtons.
in recent years australians added more croad langshan..they had a few problems with a kind of a v shape undeneath on some, that crops up..and red between the toes, the v shape were culls, the red toes are considered a serious fault..you really dont see that in usa..so yuo have to watch everything.. i like both kinds ..importation is near impossible, thou i said to my freind, you know , weve been monkeying with this forever, someday soon somone will probably just find a way to import some..but were having a good time with it....

Last edited:
I have 2 Black australorps that are now about 7 weeks old. I have to say that they looked pretty pitiful when only half their feathers were in. But now that the head has more feathers they are nice looking birds. I also have 2 buff orpingtons and they all seem to get along (which would make sense given the australorp history). Any special care I should know about?

Thanks to all the helpful folk who made suggestions re chicken banding. The velcro cable ties sound really good - nice and gentle! You can get them off ebay in multi-clored packs of 100. 20 red ones are a waste though. For newbies, chickens peck at anything red - promotes cannibalism! Why do they make chicken bands/rings in this color? Understandable in cable ties but chicken bands?? Again for newbies, you might be surprised at what chickens will peck at/eat. A long time ago, when short of nesting boxes, I used a polystyrene fruit box. They ate it in 2 days! They love the stuff. Why????? Also, it sounds like a good idea to line a brooder with reflective foil. It works......until the chicks get onto it. Seriously, it can sound like a flock of Woodpeckers as they peck it to pieces. Why????? Strange beasts chooks!
Cheers Geoff from Aus

Thanks to all the helpful folk who offered suggestions re chick banding. The velcro cable ties sound great - adjustable and nice and gentle. You can get them off ebay in multi-colored packs of 100. 20 wasted red ones though. For newbies, chickens will peck at anything red - promotes cannibalism! Can use the red ties as cable ties, but why do they make chicken bands/rings in red??? Also for newbies, you might be amazed at what chickens will eat. Years ago, when short of nest boxes, I used a polystyrene fruit box. They ate it in 2 days! Why???? It sounds like a good idea to line a brooder with reflective foil. It works - until the chicks find it. It can sound like a flock of Woodpeckers as they peck it to pieces! Why???? Strange items chooks!!!
Cheers geoff from Aus

Again for newbies, you might be surprised at what chickens will peck at/eat. A long time ago, when short of nesting boxes, I used a polystyrene fruit box. They ate it in 2 days! They love the stuff. Why?????
lau.gif

Thanks to all the helpful folk who offered suggestions re chick banding. The velcro cable ties sound great - adjustable and nice and gentle. You can get them off ebay in multi-colored packs of 100. 20 wasted red ones though. For newbies, chickens will peck at anything red - promotes cannibalism! Can use the red ties as cable ties, but why do they make chicken bands/rings in red??? Also for newbies, you might be amazed at what chickens will eat. Years ago, when short of nest boxes, I used a polystyrene fruit box. They ate it in 2 days! Why???? It sounds like a good idea to line a brooder with reflective foil. It works - until the chicks find it. It can sound like a flock of Woodpeckers as they peck it to pieces! Why???? Strange items chooks!!!
Cheers geoff from Aus
I had a hen years ago that found the polystyrene like Geoff did, , she got bad crop from it..vet had to open her up and get it all out..it was in construction pile up behind the house..she ran and ate off it every day..not sure why she did that when she had buggs, grass , feed ect...everywhere..something about it was delicious to her..when vet opened her up said where on earth did she get that??? Lord knows, we found her salad bar and removed it..

And no one knows why the manufacturers made red leg bands..I dont think they actually keep chickens. I have white ones every size, the wrap arounds..

Last edited:
I had a hen years ago that found the polystyrene like Geoff did, , she got bad crop from it..vet had to open her up and get it all out..it was in construction pile up behind the house..she ran and ate off it every day..not sure why she did that when she had buggs, grass , feed ect...everywhere..something about it was delicious to her..when vet opened her up said where on earth did she get that??? Lord knows, we found her salad bar and removed it..

And no one knows why the manufacturers made red leg bands..I dont think they actually keep chickens. I have white ones every size, the wrap arounds..
I have a hen who has been wearing a red leg band for over 2 years, since she was 10 weeks old. She has become the alpha hen, and nobody bothers it. Never has.

On the note of the polystyrene, I am told they will eat as much of any "new" thing as they can hold, simply because it is new. I have no experience with this, but am just passing that along.

Back
Top Bottom