Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
I was surprised too when the gray food-grade DE turned up here, and the manager of our feed store was sincere when he told me he had been advised that the gray could be used with chickens. I suppose if in feed only, but as bird owners we use it mainly to help with mites and other ectoparasites. When I told him what had happened to my birds' feathers he was embarrassed. Imagine if you had a show in a few days and couldn't get the Aussie clean or if the feathers had been damaged. He followed up with our feed mill's district office and so did I and the ordering manager promised that Co-Op Atlantic would always keep some white food-grade DE in stock. Larger stores might have it all the time and the smaller ones could order it in on the weekly truck. Good to their word, I got my yearly supply recently. Good thing too, I'm cleaning out a coop in the barn and we are making a third WIR for (wait for it)...exhibition line Australorps from Connecticut. More to follow (heh).

Last edited:
Need opinions. I have a couple cockerels that look really nice, but have curled toes. I know this can be genetic or environmental. They have been raised on mostly flat surfaces. I noticed the toes when they were still in the brooder, before they were moved to a coop with a roost. I do have a couple other cockerels to choose from and I haven't really looked at them closely to see who has the best type, but I'm wondering if there's any reason I should consider using the ones with bad toes for breeding or if I should just go ahead and cull. One of the ones with bad toes is definitely the largest of the bunch.

Last edited:
Need opinions. I have a couple cockerels that look really nice, but have curled toes. I know this can be genetic or environmental. They have been raised on mostly flat surfaces. I noticed the toes when they were still in the brooder, before they were moved to a coop with a roost. I do have a couple other cockerels to choose from and I haven't really looked at them closely to see who has the best type, but I'm wondering if there's any reason I should consider using the ones with bad toes for breeding or if I should just go ahead and cull. One of the ones with bad toes is definitely the largest of the bunch.

Did they have a hard time hatching? One indication would be if they had pasty butt.

since they are nice other wise, breed them and see what hatches. FYI, curly toes in hatching are usually temperature control related. Invest in a thermometer as accurate as a Brinsea Spot check.

This next part is a bit controversial so take it as an opinion to do with what you want. To me, it is not a good idea to use home made incubators if a Breeder is serious about breeding Show Quality. Invest in a good incubator. I invested in a Brinsea Octagon 40 Advance EX last year and am very happy with it.

I know many have good results with home made incubators but I have heard too many bad things.

Edited to add: I do not know what incubator you use, the above information is for those reading the post.

Last edited:
No troubles hatching and no pasty butt. They've been very healthy otherwise. I use a Hovabator with fan and turners and a digital hygrometer. I've never had issues with bad toes before.

No troubles hatching and no pasty butt. They've been very healthy otherwise. I use a Hovabator with fan and turners and a digital hygrometer. I've never had issues with bad toes before.
That is good. It could be a sign of weak genetics but likely not.

Let us know if the chicks wind up with curly toes.

That is good. It could be a sign of weak genetics but likely not.

Let us know if the chicks wind up with curly toes.

I'm not going to continue to pay to feed them if there's a chance it might be passed on. That's why I want the opinions of others who have dealt with this. I obviously can't show them,

I'm not going to continue to pay to feed them if there's a chance it might be passed on. That's why I want the opinions of others who have dealt with this. I obviously can't show them,

The answer I posted is what I have seen posted many times about curly toes in chicks and chickens. You really do not know if it is genetic or something that pops up sometimes as a percentage in hatching. It is common in sticky chicks that hatch late. Since these did not have problems, hatched on day 21 and were not sticky then it may be genetic. It is easily fixed by making a bandage splint if caught at hatch. It is not breed specific but can be line specific.

The answer will be the same for any chicken breed. One thing to try would be to contact the person the line came from and see if they have curly toed chicks. That might help figure out if the line has that problem. If it is from in-breeding and Genetics are going south, getting some fresh blood from the same line can help.

There is a chanc that a rooster with curled toes may have a reduced fertility rate also, being unable to tread hens properly.

Would that also depend on which toes are curled? It's the outter toes that are the issue. I have heard of inbreeding causing reduced fertility, but that shouldn't be an issue with these guys. Also, it's only two of the boys. The pullets don't have any issues. I'm beginning to wonder if it's from the extra protein they were getting as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom