Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
We moved our New Year's hatch out to the big coop, so they can meet every one. At three months, they are BIGGER than our 7-month-old hatchery birds! We thought they were pretty substantial, but seeing them next to the others was very edifying.

I'll try and get some pictures of everybody. :)

Here is our Big Papa, deep in chicken-thought.

MrsB

Wow. Anxious to see more!
We moved our New Year's hatch out to the big coop, so they can meet every one. At three months, they are BIGGER than our 7-month-old hatchery birds! We thought they were pretty substantial, but seeing them next to the others was very edifying. I'll try and get some pictures of everybody. :) Here is our Big Papa, deep in chicken-thought. MrsB

Mostly, I am posting to "subscribe," BUT, with eggs in the incubator... perhaps a few questions while I'm at it...

While I'm familiar with breeding to a standard (dogs, poultry, etc) in general, I am aware enough to know that there are quite a few breed-specific (& LINE specific)... well, SPECIFICS, shall we say? So, I'm hoping to discern a few of these with regard to the Australorp.

I am asking the following questions as a "newbie" who is focusing on putting together a breeding flock that has good (solid starting point) type and lacks major flaws and/or disqualifications - particularly those that tend to be genetically tenacious! I understand this beginning goal is not an overnight endeavor. Well, in my case... I can't exactly hit up a reputable breeder for a starter trio of Lavender Australorps. ;)

Please disregard the "lavender" part when answering my questions as I think they are pertinent regardless of that one peculiarity.

1. What would you cull for at hatch, or soon after? (aside from deformities, obvious physical or health problems)

2. Around what ages would you make significant selections/culls? Based on what criterion?

3. Regarding size: what is the ideal maturation rate(s)? Is that within reach at this time in the breed? If not, what is considered realistic? Is there a "cut off" point as to how far off you'd be willing to work with? For example: at a year old, a bird more than 20% below standard would be excluded from your breeding program, no matter how nice it was... I realize that may be rather detailed for a "rule of thumb," but I wanted to illustrate what I meant with the question.

4. I love the suggestion to have a local Judge visit and evaluate my birds and give advice on developing a breeding plan! I live in VA. I would be happy to drive a significant distance for such an opportunity. Any recommendations - or volunteers - of judges or experienced breeders I could contact directly?

THANKS for taking the time to read my less-than-concise post!

Mostly, I am posting to "subscribe," BUT, with eggs in the incubator... perhaps a few questions while I'm at it...

While I'm familiar with breeding to a standard (dogs, poultry, etc) in general, I am aware enough to know that there are quite a few breed-specific (& LINE specific)... well, SPECIFICS, shall we say? So, I'm hoping to discern a few of these with regard to the Australorp.

I am asking the following questions as a "newbie" who is focusing on putting together a breeding flock that has good (solid starting point) type and lacks major flaws and/or disqualifications - particularly those that tend to be genetically tenacious! I understand this beginning goal is not an overnight endeavor. Well, in my case... I can't exactly hit up a reputable breeder for a starter trio of Lavender Australorps.
wink.png

Please disregard the "lavender" part when answering my questions as I think they are pertinent regardless of that one peculiarity.

1. What would you cull for at hatch, or soon after? (aside from deformities, obvious physical or health problems)

2. Around what ages would you make significant selections/culls? Based on what criterion?

3. Regarding size: what is the ideal maturation rate(s)? Is that within reach at this time in the breed? If not, what is considered realistic? Is there a "cut off" point as to how far off you'd be willing to work with? For example: at a year old, a bird more than 20% below standard would be excluded from your breeding program, no matter how nice it was... I realize that may be rather detailed for a "rule of thumb," but I wanted to illustrate what I meant with the question.

4. I love the suggestion to have a local Judge visit and evaluate my birds and give advice on developing a breeding plan! I live in VA. I would be happy to drive a significant distance for such an opportunity. Any recommendations - or volunteers - of judges or experienced breeders I could contact directly?

THANKS for taking the time to read my less-than-concise post!

1. I wouldn't

2. 5-7 months

3. I would expect my birds to be around 1 lb. over standard weight at 9-10 months. I would cull a bird that was 20% under standard weight at 1 year.

4. There are several judges in Virginia but not sure about their availability. Glenn See, Tom Roebuck, Tom Kane and Danny Dysart come to mind...

1. I wouldn't

2. 5-7 months

3. I would expect my birds to be around 1 lb. over standard weight at 9-10 months. I would cull a bird that was 20% under standard weight at 1 year.

4. There are several judges in Virginia but not sure about their availability. Glenn See, Tom Roebuck, Tom Kane and Danny Dysart come to mind...

X2 on all of the above.

I'd like to note that my female "culls" go into my layer flock. :) "Never waste an egg-layer!" is our motto.

MrsB

We are in southeast Arkansas. We had a terrible dog attacka nd killed our adult flock of Australorps last fall. Jahdan has 3 pullets he saved, as they were in the brooders. He is willing to swap their eggs or other breed eggs for a male of show quality. These are Terry Britt line. Here are some photos of Jahdan's flock from last year.

Back
Top Bottom