Australorps vs Speckled Sussex

@thecatumbrella knows about the bad side to Black Australorps.
They are fantastic birds on paper. Hot and cold tolerant. Lay lots of eggs. Both of mine bullied other birds and each other at point-of-lay, and my best girl became aggressive towards people the day after laying her first egg. It was heartbreaking. Mine were from Mt Healthy. I’d give the breed another shot from a different hatchery, but with skepticism. I have an acquaintance with a mixed breed, free-range flock, and her Australorp is also a bit of a jerk. Nothing is guaranteed with hatchery birds.

They are fantastic birds on paper. Hot and cold tolerant. Lay lots of eggs. Both of mine bullied other birds and each other at point-of-lay, and my best girl became aggressive towards people the day after laying her first egg. It was heartbreaking. Mine were from Mt Healthy. I’d give the breed another shot from a different hatchery, but with skepticism. I have an acquaintance with a mixed breed, free-range flock, and her Australorp is also a bit of a jerk. Nothing is guaranteed with hatchery birds.
Okay. What hatchery you get them from doesn't change the birds attitude. It changes from bird to bird and really depends on the breed in general.
A farm called Rohling Homestead they also sell hatching eggs.
I've decided on which breed to get!

THE... Australorps!!!!
I think that's a good decision! Post pictures when you get them.

Okay. What hatchery you get them from doesn't change the birds attitude. It changes from bird to bird and really depends on the breed in general.
Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of BAs from that hatchery without issues. I'm just personally not going to roll the dice there anymore after striking out. I like that the OP is getting theirs from an actual farm!

When I get into position to have a bigger coop, the two breeds mentioned are on my "one or the other" list.

I did not know the black australorps can be bullies, so I am glad the breeds are being discussed. How are the Sussex (looking at speckled) in temperment?

When I get into position to have a bigger coop, the two breeds mentioned are on my "one or the other" list.

I did not know the black australorps can be bullies, so I am glad the breeds are being discussed. How are the Sussex (looking at speckled) in temperment?
My Sussex is very mellow & friendly. She is curious and unafraid of people. Very gentle.

I did not know the black australorps can be bullies
I hope I didn't put you off them. They really are a wonderful breed, and any bird can be a bully given the right circumstances and mindset. It's very possible my setup just sucked, considering they're both doing great in their new free-range home.

Back
Top Bottom