Australorps, what, he/she ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emjay, Nov 18, 2009.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

one in question in front.

[​IMG]

roo?

[​IMG]
    fast grow, and slow grow. speedy and pokey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is the elder pullet. and Queenie

[​IMG]

roo? and the elder Aussie.

what do you think? one roo? two pullets? all pullets? or two roo and a pullet? haha

2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I would have to hazard a guess that they are all pullets. Nothing screams roo at me - but I'm not much good at this...

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    it would help to know their age, but i would hazard to guess in the other direction on at least the "one in question" . He looks looks like a young roo to me

4. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    they are about 12-14 weeks old, the oldest born Aug.1, the other 2, Aug.13

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Look at the legs of the ????? chick. They look very thick to me even in the one shot where I could compare them. That would indicate a roo. I've never raised an Aussie roo, just a couple of hens that I thought were roos until shortly before I got eggs because their combs and wattles were so red and prominent as compared to other breeds. I couldn't really see hackle feathers on yours. Any crowing attempts??
    I hope you can keep a roo if that is what it turns out to be. You have a nice looking flock and my Aussie hens have always been very sweet.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    no crowing attempts at all. by neither. and two have the thicker legs, but, the elder one is quite bigger then the other two.

I would have three roos, and 8 pullets. hmmm, not good. picking the one to keep........that's hard.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
  8. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I was browsing your thread earlier, your girls feathers look different then mine, but, I'm not giving up on them just yet. They don't act rooish at all. and at 12 - 14 weeks, you 'd think there would be a crow attempt. My 14 week old bantam cochin roo is crowing, and no other bird tries to talk back.

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    They all look like pullets.

10. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I love you, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by