• Jersey Gaint

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kevinmellett

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2013
I ordered a Jersey Giant from Tractor Supply. She is four and a half months old. Got her along with some Light Brahmas. The Brahmas are quite a bit bigger than her so I was wondering if she is an Austrolorp. It really make no difference other than my own curiosity. I took pictures of her feet. What do you all think? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 11
Would you be able to look at the skin of the bird? Sometimes that's easier to see than foot colour differences... Australorps are white-skinned, Jerseys are yellow.
You an also factor into this that the Jersey Giant is a very slow-growing bird, due to the poor feed to meat ratio, so it could work to give her a few more months before comparing her to the quicker growing breeds.

Sorry but I can't tell what color it's foot bottoms are in the pictures.... it looks kinda green on my phone. :confused: But Jersey Giants should be yellow, and black Australorps are pink/white.

Idk what's wrong with people's phones or computers but those are clearly white/pink feet. Australorp

Pro-tip(lol): if your phone has a blue light filter, turn it on. The blue light will not only do more damage to your eyes over time but will unnaturally distort colors in the pictures you're looking at.

Australorp. Our Australorps are good birds. The BA is our top Hen or 2nd in command Hen, and the other BA is a great momma hen, and sticks up for/defends her various batches of adopted chicks - so, the BA have some good chicken instincts.

The foot color is one indicator of BA. The BJG should have yellow feet bottoms, while the BA have pinky flesh colored feet bottoms. The size is the other - a proper BJG would be larger at this age than the other birds. We have an adult male and female BJG age 18 months. Both are significantly larger than our other standard sized chickens. We also have 5 week old BJG (with some other standard chicks same age) and they are noticeably larger, with bigger frames - both the female and male chicks.

Here are our BJG when they were 4 months old (one male and one female) - they are quite large/wide even then.
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.00.12 PM.png

Here is the BJG rooster a few months ago (around 15 months old) next to 2 full grown standard hens (white Legbar and SLW). They do take quite awhile to become full grown, supposedly around 18 months.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.12.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 11.54.41 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom