Auto-water problems

jabwocky

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
Wanted to fill my hanging water trough with hose, stop going in the coop. I added a hose attachment and one-way valve. Water just pours out the bottom as fast as it fills. Advice?

Since you drilled a hole in the reservoir you now most likely have an air leak allowing air to enter and then the water runs out. You have most likely completely destroyed the waterer now. These work on the principle that the water runs out when air enters and even with a valve you have a place for air to enter. Even if the water is flowing the vacuum remains broken and the water will never stop running out the bottom.

Read the topics above about the galvanized double wall waterers and you will begin to see how they work and the science involved, it is the same with a plastic waterer of this type and it is ruined.

Sorry you tore up about a $50 waterer, it will never work properly again.

if you are putting water in the air has to go somewhere. You are pressuring the waterer forcing the water to run out the bottom!!! You probably don't have a leak the water is just being pushed right back out by water pressure.

I hope that made sense.

U have to recreate the vacuum somewhere. You maybe able to use your water hose as the vacuum enforcer by turning it off at the supply but all holes have to be sealed and ur hose will deflate from the vacuum pressure as water is removed from the bottom.

You probably haven't ruined your waterer but it will not work in the way you intend. You will need to seal the holes you created to fix the waterer.

You will need to go with the drinker cups or nipples attached to a bucket or pipe to have a waterer that can be filled externally.

Last edited:
I don't think that your fountain has a screw on bottom. By suspending it the bottom may be too low allowing air to enter through the hole that refills the base. Try setting it on the ground. Either that or the suggestion about not properly sealing the hole you drilled is likely your problem. If the hose is left on water pressure will force water out of the fountain until the water is cut off, pressure equalizes and a vacuum in formed.

Back
Top Bottom