Auto water systems?

kbbeale

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Adkins, Tx
Does anyone have any reasonably priced ideas for auto watering systems? We are able to do any kind of pvc work ourselves and can bury lines, etc if needed. Just looking at something that would be easier than filling these darn waterers every day. We live in south Texas so freezing isnt really an issue, we rarely freeze to the point where lines would burst.

Thanks so much, I'm a stay at home mom with three boys and just dont have a lot of time lately!!! LOL

If you have a way to hook it up to a fawcet, you could use cup waterers or fountains that are pressure-fed, or use a 5 gallon bucket to gravity feed the system.
How many birds do you have?

We dont have a lot currently, we're down to about 30 - but I plan on doubling in the next few months. I know it doesnt sound like a lot, but with a three month old....taking the time out every day to do all the waterers is time consuming. I'd rather take him out there with me and check waterers and feeders.....

I'm just wanting to get some ideas together to give to DH so he can come up with a plan that will work for us.

you could get a 55gal barrel cheep or free, and add a gravity fed water bowl to it- they bowls are under $10 at fleetfarm, I bet TSC is similar$

That is my plan for the summer months- it'll be good for the dog, too. I will prolly fill it w/ rain water run-off.

Quote:
I was going to suggest something similar but if you can't find a 55 gal barrel, look on Craigslist or Freecycle for a water heater someone is gettin' rid of. If it leaks, patch the leak. If it just quit heating ... it'll hold the water. Mount it on something higher than the bowl and you're set.

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, thanks yall for the suggestions. The 5 gal bucket idea is a bit more feasible for us. That's a really cool idea. Thanks so much.....hopefully here soon we can get something going.

Oh, with the 5 gal bucket idea - isnt it a pain to clean? I would imagine it could get pretty dirty down in there......

Keep the lid...
wink.png

Yes, every so often I have to disconnect the bucket and clean it. But it's not a big deal.

Quote:
I forgot to tell ya, it's not 'auto' ... but I made a waterer from a 5 gal bucket turned upside down into an oil drain pan. I think I got the idea from BYC's learning center. I only have 6 drinkin, but it'll last Sat to Sat. (That's when I clean it.)

If you'd like more info, lemme know. I'll even give ya pix! YAY! Hehehehe
smile.png

Quote:
I have several of the automatic pet watering bowls from Tractor supply company, $16.99, they hook up to a hose fitting, fills itself up and stays that way....you leave the hose on all the time. I can attach it to boards or to chain link...works awesome. I use them for my dogs, and my chickens. I have to do that cause sometimes we have to leave for two days, so I have two/three day feeders and automatice waterers.

Tina/tfpets

Back
Top Bottom