auto-watering systems

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Megs, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    hi all, im looking for a relatively inexpensive auto watering unit (need for 8-10 pens) and was looking at the "low pressure watering system", as advertised here on mcmurrays website...

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/low_pressure_watering_system.html

anyone have any feedback on this item? for the price it seems great, i could get 2 of them and have 10 watering bowls that will re-fill (such a lovely thought). also wondering if this would work when the temp gets below 0, i wouldnt want it to freeze and crack (as it looks plastic).

or might i be better off going with this style (more costly, but i need this to work and last) as i beleave they are metal (the ones i have seen in person were)
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/automatic_water_bowls.html

2. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
  3. Megs

Aug 19, 2009
    oooh that is a neat one, i wonder how long the hose is for the 10 cup pack? my runs are outdoors and span a 20X40' space, i would need a waterer in each of the 8-10 pens (8-10 depending on if i break up my big one into several smaller ones)

4. G Wiz Ranch

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    The kits are for cages, but you could buy extra hose from HomeDepot or Lowes. I plan on runing water from a central tank (approx 30 gallons) with 1/2" pvc to get it to the runs/coops and then use the hoses provided. I am going to use a float in the tank and let if gravity feed the cups. Using this metod will allow me to medicate the birds via water if needed. I may have it set up both ways (gravity and tap) in the even I need a backup, it would be easy to do with a couple of valves and pipe.

5. Megs

Aug 19, 2009
    i found out i actually have a bunch of 6' long industrial metal chicken waterers (our farm used to be a chicken farm), they are however missing the float valves, what kind of float valve could i use to replace them?

mcmurray has this style float valve...but my troughs are just V shaped metal lengths so im not sure if they would work?
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/automatic_water_troughs.html

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Just built a waterer, used a five gallon bucket, a two foot piece of garden hose and a $9 water trough float valve. I presently have it hooked to my home water system 30 to 40 PSIG. It could be hooked to a low pressure or gravity system.

I had the bucket and hose on hand, I bought the float valve. Total cost was $10. Figure if you got to buy a $5 bucket and a cheap hose it would run the price to $20 each.

I will take a few pictures in the morning.

7. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    None of the drinkers that are shown in the links listed above will survive 0 deg F.
    I know of no pressurized system ( 4" wc to 60psi) that does not have components that will withstand zero temperatures.

8. Megs

Aug 19, 2009
    will any plastic componenets crack/break if the temp dips below 0 or will it just freeze and not function while its frozen? i have no problem carting water out while the temp is under 0 (which is maybe a few days here and there, up to 2 weeks at worst) i just dont want to break whichever waterer i go with (could unhook system when its supposed to get below 0 as well as a precaution).

9. G Wiz Ranch

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Quote:True, for me its not an issue. Coastal California seldom freezes and NEVER gets -0. Or I wouldn't live here. When it dips to the 20's, it only lasts a couple hours, by the time the sun is up, the temp rises quick.

10. theverhalenhobbyfarm

theverhalenhobbyfarm New Egg

Oct 7, 2009
    I have the king bowl system and I only had it for a couple of months. Its better than carring water and works great so far I just took a piece of angle iron and hung it from the ceiling. The other type a buddy has and he said that u have to keep them level and the pressure regulater is a regulater off a gas grill. Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by