Automatic Chicken Coop door for only $5 bucks with a radio antenna from a junkyard

Nope. I don't have over 1 acre of land. That's the stipulation.

I think the township should rethink it's zoning policy it is outdated in my opinion. More cities are now accommodating back yard chickens (with limitations.) I would plead my case to the township. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Maybe they would entertain adding an amendment to the zoning rules.

Then I would have them address the problem of domestic cats running at large. I am sure one can mount a petition on that subject as well.

Last edited:
IT'S A VERY SAD DAY TODAY..............

Yesterday when we got home we found a notice on the door from the township letting us know that we couldn't have our chickens any longer. We weren't in compliance with the zoning for farm animals since we live in a subdivision and don't have enough land to be within the ordinance. We hade a very nice coop that I built with an enclosed run were they couldn't get out and they were very quiet too.

Last year in March we got our first 3 chicks for my son who was 3 years old at the time. Within a few weeks we got 2 more. Our 5 chickens gave us eggs almost every day once they started. This spring we got 3 more and they are growing up great. Probably would lay eggs near the end of July, but we won't get to see that now.

Our 4 year old son is very sad to see his pets (who each have a name) go. He fed them scratch each day as dad collected the eggs. It's hard explaining to a 4 year old that he won't see his "chicken nuggets" anymore.

What a shame........ and it's all because of a neighbor 3 houses down decided to call the township on us because I didn't appreciate a cat being allowed to run around my yard and use the bathroom, come in my garage, and kill the baby birds living in our trees.

Terrible that people can be such jerks and do things that make a small innocent child loose his pets.

It was great finding this website and all the things I learned on it and the things I got to share. Made friends with some of you and had a great time telling our chicken stories..... But I guess that's all done now. We have to have them cleared out in the next few days.

Wish for my little boy there was some way to keep them, but I'm sure we can't.

Thanks again everyone! Happy chicken keeping to you!

There is a whole section of BYC dedicated to chicken ordinances and how to change them, hope it helps you.

IT'S A VERY SAD DAY TODAY..............

Yesterday when we got home we found a notice on the door from the township letting us know that we couldn't have our chickens any longer. We weren't in compliance with the zoning for farm animals since we live in a subdivision and don't have enough land to be within the ordinance. We hade a very nice coop that I built with an enclosed run were they couldn't get out and they were very quiet too.
as long as it's taking me to build a coop, I hope I don't have any problems.
If you have a garage, can't you build an aviary for your "big birds"? A friend of mine can't have chickens either and I suggested that to her. If people can have snakes and other reptiles in their home, why can't you have chickens? Their aviary won't be visible and you could turn on a radio to cut down on the chicken chatter.

I had a question about the night light. I bought all the stuff to build an automatic door, but think the antenna motor would be best, but I was wondering how you set up the night light.

thanks

as long as it's taking me to build a coop, I hope I don't have any problems.
If you have a garage, can't you build an aviary for your "big birds"? A friend of mine can't have chickens either and I suggested that to her. If people can have snakes and other reptiles in their home, why can't you have chickens? Their aviary won't be visible and you could turn on a radio to cut down on the chicken chatter.

I had a question about the night light. I bought all the stuff to build an automatic door, but think the antenna motor would be best, but I was wondering how you set up the night light.

thanks
Well our chickens and coop are gone. That chapter of our life is over now.

The night light was plugged into a timer that turned on each night (and also gave power to close the door). At morning when the timer turned the power off, the light would go off and the door would open.

Well our chickens and coop are gone. That chapter of our life is over now.
I just don't understand some people. My mother said my grandmother would always say some people "swallow a camel and strain on a gnat" ... my girls are quite noisy and bossy, so I don't know what will happen when they get in the big house

Sorry to hear about the chickens jimmy. I personally would think about moving if I couldn't have chickens, garden etc. In my yard.

I wanted to give my opinion real quick on the automatic door opener. Antenna Is a great idea but if you don't counter the door weight to where its almost no load then I think you willhave premature failure. Not sure if thats even a solution really. I'd hate for someone to go out of town and chicken door fails then. I didn't counterweight and had a cheap new antenna fail after a week. Door weighed at most 3-4 lbs. (16"x14" exterior wall board). The little plastic gears inside them will not stand up to that in the long run. Some may be stronger than others but I couldn't find that info out when looking for a replacement so I went another route. Bought a linear actuator on eBay for a little over $50 and a dpdt relay $5. Used some old computer ac dc adapters( one needs to have more amperage output then your motor uses. One just needs to be able to energize the relay from timer. Most linear actuators have limit switches built in so that helps. Wiring is the most difficult part, but is doable for any motivated individual. I just finished it last night so I'll try and get a diagram and pictures on here in a week or so

Back
Top Bottom