Automatic Chicken Coop door for only $5 bucks with a radio antenna from a junkyard

Got a huge question before I build my door.... I am afraid that a raccoon will literally lift the door after it closes automatically. I am going to use runners on the side of the door and I will have the bottom and sides of the door recessed behind some wood and the door and rails will be on the inside of the coop to help prevent this, but still slightly concerned... the whole point of this is so I don't have to latch and unlatch every night and morning... anyone have any ideas of whether or not I'm over reacting...
For this reason we used a minivan (but any quality vehicle regulator assembly will work hint stay away from Chevy and Chrysler. Japenese are best ours is off Mercury produced to Nissan specs badged a Nissan Quest / Merc Villager is same Nissan drivelne with only minor lihting differences and cheaper interior vinyl in Villager instead on cloth like Quest but updrades can be found on Villagers) power window regulator complete with the switch & wiring for manual operation as it has a gear reduction that is formiddable permanent magnet rare earth motor even for the most ferocious of predators but the torque limiters are still too much to prevent killing one as nearly any opener design I know of can kill a chicken as they can not take much. Not sure but someone should experiment with trial and error with a 12vdc flashing red (color not sure of as most effective) light to warn when powered so they clear out of the way. Sent by a right hand on a mobile with Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks again for the ideas in this thread. Finished mine this week. Now onto a solar panel and a small 12 v battery. Then onto an arduino.

Trying to get this setup myself but I'm not understanding the wiring. Why do you need 2 AC adapters? When the antenna is connected to the car it's connected to a single power source (the battery), when you turn the key on, the antenna goes up, when you turn the key off, the antenna goes down. There's also a lot of confusion on what wire is what and the OP even says his diagram doesn't match how he did it so it's kind of hard to understand what is going on here. Can someone with some electrical knowledge fill in the blanks for me?

Thanks for this post...I got my automatic door opener just installed. I bought the antenna from Amazon for $24.95 (plus $3.99 for 3 years warranty because some people report it doesn't last). I also bought an 12V 5A adapter for $7.50, but use an existing timer. When I start building it, I realize I need two power adapters. Instead of ordering one again and wait for two other days, I picked an old laptop charger (19V 7A) and it seems to work just fine. Hope it works.

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm the OP to this thread!!!! We are getting a coop again (had to get rid of our original in 2014 because of zoning rules). I'm glad I made this thread because now I can follow my own instructions to make another one of these!!!

I need to locate 2 of those power supplies again. The local thrift stores don't have any. Where are you guys finding them online and what are you putting in the search box? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom