Automatic Chicken Coop Doors

Quote:
Yes. I have the inside mount with the light sensor. (timer not necessary) The light sensor is adjustable, so you can adjust it's sensitivity to light. We got up on several nights of a full moon to make sure it wasn't opening. (it didn't)

With the inside door mount if I don't have a sliding door do I need ot get one too? I am interested in this one as it runs on batteries and my chicken house does not have any electircity.

If you don't have a sliding (guillotine) style door, then yes, buy the door. I don't have electricity in my coop either, and it's been 1 1/2 years still working on the same batteries as when I got it.

I was wondering the same thing.. However, I've found it interesting that while still working on our coop/run, the not quite full grown birds happily wander over to the run and hide out in the corner once the sun goes down.. They seem to know where to go.. and when.. that's what I'm figuring at this point!

Quote:
I don't have the timer, but I have the light sensor. The chickens are in and settled on the roost about 45 minutes before the door closes. I have not had a chicken locked out. Just set your timer to close after dark. Then you'll be fine. MOST chickens go in at night on their own. If they are young and haven't figured this part out yet, then you'll need to go out each night and put them in the coop until they learn to go in on their own.

Quote:
I've got my timer to close the door about 30 minutes after dark. By then they are all inside. The other night night I was in the coop a little after dark and the hens would go to the open door and look out as if to say "yes it's still dark" then they would go back the the roost.

Quote:
This is the door opener I use. It's $100.00 including freight. http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20

I also use a $5.00 timer from Walmart to set the time it opens and closes. It works Great. Check out my page about haft way down to see how it's hooked up.
For the door, I used a 1/4 inch thick piece if plexiglas that I got at Home Depot.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

Bill
P>S> It opens and closes slowly and the chickens have time to move out of the way.

Hi BayAreaPilot, and others... The Addamotor 20 is the one I use as well. I like it. I got it from the same folks Bill did - Discoutn Automation . Easy order, easy install. Works great and for $100.00 it was in our budget. I got my $5.00 timer at Lowe's. I HIGHLY recommend this motor--> http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20

As
Bill said, Hope this helps. Did for us.

I just got my automatic chicken door from Foy's. I am so excited! I won't have to go out in the early moring in the winter to open the door! Now wish me luck on the install!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Good luck!!!!! Automatic doors are the BEST invention!. Post an update. I looked at the one you bought, but shy'd away for a couple reasons. Mostly cost, but was easily able to do the AddAMotor. Easy install too. Works like a charm. I'd still like to hear how it all comes out!!! You're gonna LOVE it.

Best!

For some reason they go to roost about the same time each nite. I set my timer to close about a half hour after they are in their beds. The first night I gave them access to the run they all wanted to sleep outside. I gently picked each one up and placed them inside the pop door. The second night 4 of 11 wanted to spend the night out. By the third night all of them were inside safe and sound way before the door closed. I still check on them but they have always gone to roost on their own. It makes keeping them so much ezer then getting in bed and thinking did I or didn't I close that door...

OK everyone you all have such great write-ups about this.. how about posting some pictures now please?
I'm thinking about getting one for my coop now.

Back
Top Bottom