Automatic chicken doors?

I love having them! I can go for a date night, holidays, family events, school meetings, or have unexpected car trouble, work issues, urgent care visits, whatever, and I don't need to worry about the chickens. It's so nice!! It's not such a big deal during "normal life" days, but it saves me worry when something comes up and you can't be there right away in the morning or before dusk. Both easier to get and sometimes more reliable than chicken sitters during vacation also.

I did have a learning period with new doors. You'll especially have to watch it open and close on the first snow or ice, to make sure it can handle it.

Also learned the hard way to pin the cord up on the wall, where mice can't get to it.

I keep a small nipple water in the coop, so in case it fails to open they have water for the day until I get home from work and notice. I don't bother with food, as the water is more imminent and it wouldn't be that long.

Over 2 years with three different doors and two coops I've had two failures. One was the aforementioned mouse chewing through the cord. The other I could hear the motor struggling after a year and a half of use, and then it died the next week. I already had a replacement ordered, since I knew the motor was going.

Some doors have an inch or so of slop in them, so they can't squish/chop off a chicken head/foot. Keep in mind this can leave enough slop for a weasel to get in (happened to me). I prefer motors that slow down to close the last inch instead. If you've got chickens trying to run in or out while it's closing, instead of getting a door with slop try delaying the close half an hour later instead (or get a different door that has a delayed close option).

I currently use the Run Chicken door from Amazon. I like it because it's solid, it's aesthetically pleasing, and it's held in place when it's closed, so the door cannot be lifted or slid. It's a little more liable to be iced shut than other designs, that happens to me once or twice a winter, ice storms usually or once in freezing rain. I don't mind, as typically that kind of weather is nasty and my chickens choose not to go out anyways. It barely fits my big 10lb+ rooster though. Nice size for the hens or smaller roosters.

I prefer the light sensors to the clock-based ones. My first one had a clock, so I had to go change it at daylight savings, and then about every 6 weeks throughout the year as dawn and dusk times changed with the seasons. It wasn't that bad, but it was something you definitely had to remember to do.

Following. I have large birds (brahmas) and no electricity in the middle of the property and also need an auto door.

We have 2 Brahamas, 2 RIR and 2 Buff Orpingtons. I was concerned, when we switch from manual to automatic pop door, as our manual door was larger than most auto pop doors. But, all fit thru the Ador with no issues.

The Ador runs on a lantern battery. Much more efficient than other batteries. I've been running it for a little over a year, on the same battery (that came with the door, so I have no idea how fresh/new it was).

Back
Top Bottom